Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I've recently poured a lot of time and money into trying to repair the gas tank from my 2000 ex500. It was filled with rust and holes going through the metal so I did everything I could: welding on new patches, sealing the outside, cleaning out the inside with acid, re-sealing the inside, etc. Poured some gas into it today for the first time and it leaks like crazy. Huge let down after all that work.

Here's my question: are there any tanks that serve as replacements to the OEM tank? For example, tanks from other bikes or maybe some aftermarket tanks? Just looking for some other solutions before I drop $150 on a used tank from Ebay that claims to have "some rust."

· Registered
2,820 Posts
the saying goes "anything can be made to fit with time and ingenuity" but in reality it depends on your location and what's been done to the bike.
if your using the stock fairings and seat your pretty much restricted to a stock tank.
if the bike has streetfightered so doesn't have to match the stock bike the tank off a ER500 will fit if you modify the mountings. but this then depends on your location as the ER500 wasn't a popular bike everywhere so could as hard to get as the stock one.

I was looking for a replacement tank for a GPZ project for months before finding the ER one. no others went anywhere near. the EX was a much more plentiful popular bike over in the US so that would be my first port of call, if there isn't any where you are.

· Registered
2,820 Posts
Thanks for the timely responses guys. I'll weigh my options. Also, are there any big differences between the gen 1 and gen 2 tanks?
nope they are the same. I won't say exactly the same but near enough, either tank will fit either gen, the difference is in the very small variation of the fairing mounts on the tank. if a gen1 tank is fitted to a gen 2 the joints just don't line up perfectly and seem [to the perfectionist] a little wide. a gen 2 tank on a gen 1 is the opposite fits fine but the joints seem a little tight.

it's to do with the different shape of the fairings between gen 1 and gen 2.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nope they are the same. I won't say exactly the same but near enough, either tank will fit either gen, the difference is in the very small variation of the fairing mounts on the tank. if a gen1 tank is fitted to a gen 2 the joints just don't line up perfectly and seem [to the perfectionist] a little wide. a gen 2 tank on a gen 1 is the opposite fits fine but the joints seem a little tight.

it's to do with the different shape of the fairings between gen 1 and gen 2.
That's really helpful information. Thank you.

· Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, so I've recently poured a lot of time and money into trying to repair the gas tank from my 2000 ex500. It was filled with rust and holes going through the metal so I did everything I could: welding on new patches, sealing the outside, cleaning out the inside with acid, re-sealing the inside, etc. Poured some gas into it today for the first time and it leaks like crazy. Huge let down after all that work.

Here's my question: are there any tanks that serve as replacements to the OEM tank? For example, tanks from other bikes or maybe some aftermarket tanks? Just looking for some other solutions before I drop $150 on a used tank from Ebay that claims to have "some rust."
What gas tank option did you go with? Have a rusty tank and it doesn't seem to be going away with acid I'm trying electrolysis next hopefully that does it but if it doesn't what tank did you go with?

· Administrator
07 Ducati SS800 '95 Ducati 900SS/SP '19 Honda CBR650R
16,503 Posts
@Jaygmo I'd suggest a last ditch effort using the POR-15 3 part system. Its quite effective but requires full access to hose water and drainage during the process. Some fairly specific info (mixed with off topic bs) within this thread, check it out.

Note its an old thread, pics have long since been deleted, but i can share that IF you decide to go with it.....follow directions precisely and assure the tank is 100% dry prior to the final step of product addition.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts