Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts
G

·
Sigh... I wonder what Soichiro would say about such a lame ad highlighting the bastardization of an iconic Honda.

·
Administrator
15,647 Posts
^....morphing into an SUV :eek:

·
Registered
8,434 Posts
K-woppa said:
Sigh... I wonder what Soichiro would say about such a lame ad highlighting the bastardization of an iconic Honda.
He's probably rolling over in the grave right now seeing a motorcycle that ugly with his name on the tank! OH....wait.......he's already doing so, seeing the bastardization of the VFR.....maybe now he'll sit up and haunt the stylist who created this monstrosity for putting his name on the bike...or the corporate president for allowing such an ugly array of motorcycles to be released bearing the name.....I don't know.....but I don't think he'd much care for it or the new VFR for that matter.

G

·
Somebody should make a Dickens flavored video of him coming back and haunting the current board of directors. He would be the Ghost of Motorcycle Enthusiasts Past.

·
Registered
8,434 Posts
K-woppa said:
Somebody should make a Dickens flavored video of him coming back and haunting the current board of directors. He would be the Ghost of Motorcycle Enthusiasts Past.
THAT IS AWESOME! FULL OF WIN! I love it.....think motorcycle themed 'Scrooged'.....hahahaha, that would be so awesome if someone could put that together...and do it in Japanese! I think it would go viral on youtube in a very short time!.......sean

·
Registered
6,120 Posts
To be fair it's a lot harder to style a cross over bike like this than a super sport. A super sport is going to look fast and sporty no matter what the stylist does. The Cross runner is not my favourite looking bike bike, and from some angles like side on, actually looks good. They could have done a lot worse, for instance the first generation Versys, now corrected by Kawi with the 2010 model.

·
Registered
8,434 Posts
K-woppa said:
With all due respect, twowheels, you're spoiling our fun. ;D
That's only 'cause he wants to play the 'scrooge' character Mr. Honda comes forth to haunt. ;D

·
Registered
8,434 Posts
K-woppa said:
It's a "digestible" bike.
Digestable? It's giving me heartburn just looking at it! Still doesn't explain the VFR.....Mr. Plaza, Mr. Honda would like a word with you.....oh twowheels.....time for your 'Plaza' costume....make up in 5! ;D

·
Registered
44 Posts
I seriously hope nobody minds that this thread is 11 years old.
The first time I saw a VFR800 (it was a gen 5 probably an 02) my first thought was "what were those engineers thinking?"
My mind wandered as I looked over the single swing with the shaft and tried to figure out how the angles all fit together.
I've since seen an older 750 than when I saw the 1200 in the showroom I lost interest REAL quick.
When talking to others that ride the gen 5, I've been told that the bike can be a bit unsettling at times when vtec kicks in, especially accelerating around corners or out of the corners to early.
It's been hard lately nailing down the just which VFR's were the ones that originally peeked my interest, but I think they are the same gen as the one @ducatiman just recently sold and has posted about in years past. I still have a ton of questions about what makes the 5 gen so special and perhaps different from the other single swing shaft bike like the guzzis or others I have not heard about.

·
Administrator
15,647 Posts
First to clear up a couple of misconceptions you've posted @knowninknownin

5th gen Honda were 1998-2001 chain final drive, gear driven cam, Fuel Injected, non-Vtec examples. Engines didn't require valve clearance checks often (nor anything else, for that matter) basically turn key and go.

'02 begat the 6th Gen V-tek version, however returned to chain driven cams (losing the gear driven whine)

What was so special about 5th gen? IMHO...GEAR DRIVEN CAMS, in conjunction with the V4 configuration..... a sound to die for. The 5th gen was the last gen with gear drive cams AND the first with fuel injection....best of both worlds. Honda PGM/ FI system was a plus as well.

No, not the fastest bike ever, but a great, reliable, dependable, smooth street ride that did everything quite well.

·
Registered
19,756 Posts
I kept my 96 750 til a few years ago when I decided it was too dangerous to iride here in the Ozarks. Sold it to a young fellow that I gave a lot of information about the bike ,that it was a gentleman's express and a keeper.
All of which fell on deaf ears, in two months he managed to so destroy the thing, the dealer that he sold it to barley gave him scrap value.
Kinda disturbed me fo a while till I bough my SL 55 AMG

FOG

·
Registered
44 Posts
I saw a red white and blue 750 intercepter in a shop about 10 years ago. It was pretty, even though it hadn't been well taken care of. I'm starting to wonder what a modern 750 gixer feels like, although I haven't gotten a secure comfort level yet on either of my 600s so far. The Bandit and Thundercat are such different Sport bikes.

I was truely impressed by the Intercepters gen6? visual presentation, mostly the shaft and single swing. But I've never ridden one and googling the VFR is getting really confusing these days with pictures of gen5 6 and 7 showing that configuration.

I'm not enough of a mechanic to understand the true value of a gear driven cam and the description of the V4 is the first I've heard of that spec too.

thank you both for sharing, I'm still trying to learn as much as I can from you guys here and you sure have a way of getting to the point forth with.

·
Administrator
15,647 Posts
mostly the shaft and single swing.
note VFR are chain driven, single side swing arm

Gear driven cams super reliable, offering consistent, precise cam/valve timing without the need for cam chain tensioners, eventual cam chain replacement, chain jumping time and variations in timing due to chain wear.
Gear drive a more expensive system....IMHO .. cost was the reason 6th Gen went back to cam chain drive system while "compensating" in providing the V-tec system, which greatly complicates valve clearance checks and shim changes.

Oh, did I mention the heavenly sound of the 5th Gen drive gear top end?

21 - 38 of 38 Posts