Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I only recently joined the forum but have been using the posts for a few years when I have questions about my ninja.

I dropped my bike (slow speed low side) a month ago and the handlebar broke near the riser. I got it welded back together but am having a frustrating time getting it back together... The grip came apart when I was undoing things. I'm pretty sure I got it or back together right in the switch housing, but I can't seem to get it to fit back onto the bar correctly.

Anyone have advice on doing this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, the only threads I could find on the subject here are several years old and some of the links are dead...

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
IIRC (and I may be remembering wrong) the switch needs to be positioned in a specific alignment with the master cylinder.
But for sure it is easier to install the switch with the brake lever removed. This is mandatory IMO.

·
Registered
596 Posts
IIRC (and I may be remembering wrong) the switch needs to be positioned in a specific alignment with the master cylinder.
But for sure it is easier to install the switch with the brake lever removed. This is mandatory IMO.
yeah that's correct. there's a notch in the lever so it fits in the right place for the for the stop light switch. also if the OP looks at the back of switch gear [on the inside] there is a plastic lug that fits into a hole in the bar at the backside so everything locks into position.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
And then there are those two pesky throttle cables which seem to come adrift once one attempts to juggle all the bits back together.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey everyone, thanks for the great info. I got the bar in and everything put back together... Turns out I had the bar upside down! Now all I need to do is figure out why I don't have brakes. (pull the lever but no resistance and break doesn't move). Probably just bleed out the line and refill with new fluid.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Hey everyone, thanks for the great info. I got the bar in and everything put back together... Turns out I had the bar upside down! Now all I need to do is figure out why I don't have brakes. (pull the lever but no resistance and break doesn't move). Probably just bleed out the line and refill with new fluid.
you have no brake because while you were sorting the bar the fluid has been displaced or even leaked out so now you have a air bubble in the line the bubble compresses and >>>> no brake. got the "T" shirt for that one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you have no brake because while you were sorting the bar the fluid has been displaced or even leaked out so now you have a air bubble in the line the bubble compresses and >>>> no brake. got the "T" shirt for that one.
We bled the line to get the air out. All good now 😊

1 - 9 of 9 Posts