Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

replacing healight bulb

2K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Sailor 
#1 ·
I'm thinking of changing the stock headlight on my 500r to a brighter bulb, is there a tutorial anywhere showing how to do it? Is it simple? What do I need to take off in order to get to the bulb?

Thanks!!

#2 ·
The only thing brighter i would suggest would be HID, and not just a higher wattage bulb as those generate more heat that could cause the reflector assembly to fail. An HID system is rather cool, and draws less power (35W vs 55W) but come at a considerable entry price of $150 for the EX500 kit.

#3 ·
you can do what I did, which is basically get a 90/100W bulb which is brighter, hasnt caused me any problems yet heat wise, and I'm quite happy with so far. its a little bit of a pain to get the headlight bulb out but it can be done without removing the faring.

what you need to do, is pull the plug off the bulb first, then the rubber cover, followed by the little metal retainer for the bulb(push in on the right hand side, and up to get it loose) then remove old bulb, and install new one. be sure not to touch the glass part of the bulb because it will cause problems of an unpleasant nature later.

#6 ·
bobthebiker said:
you can do what I did, which is basically get a 90/100W bulb which is brighter, hasnt caused me any problems yet[/color] heat wise, and I'm quite happy with so far. its a little bit of a pain to get the headlight bulb out but it can be done without removing the faring.
i kinda took notice of both the word, and then the phrase.

Hasn't caused any problems YET... until the bulb expires, it's still very iffy. that's a lot of heat, and it wouldn't be the first time i've seen reflector damage because of it. however, when you put it all together... 'Hasn't caused any problems yet HEAT WISE', do you mean that you HAVE experienced problems of a different nature? If you have, i think it warrants an explanation.

#10 ·
I had two Silverstars blow out in a couple of months on my car - both within days of each other. Similar results with a couple of my friends. It's certainly not my preferred choice of bulb.

I put the stockers back in (I was trying for brighter) and they have been running without blowing since - 3 years later.

#13 ·
Aimed properly will do wonders and will do more than any bulb on an improperly aimed headlight. That's all I've done on any of my bikes and most were set too low from the factory. There's a real chance of doing damage with a bulb of higher wattage. They run much hotter and carry all of the problems that go with that. Potentials are wiring damage, reflector burning, and short bulb life from too much heat.

Find the adjuster that sets the vertical and screw it upwards until the light just about leaves the road on hard acceleration using the high beam. Low beam should fall right in. An extra check when behind cars to be sure you're not lighting up their mirrors is good and may require backing down 1/4 turn at a time to bring it in. It won't be far off, though. Day and night difference, to coin a phrase. :)

#14 ·
Knightslugger said:
brighter light ( color temp)
i hope you don't mean these are synonymous... cuz they aren't bro.
not really sure what you were saying i was stating that some bulbs use diffrent color temp in the same wattage range ,and that that is sometimes preceived as being more light while it is actually the same just the shade makes it look like more. as example a 60 watt bulb with a color factor of 2700 K looks softer than another 60 watt bulb with 4100 k

#16 ·
just a few minutes ago i put a new silverstar on my 96. I went with the silver star because i have them in my car and its a huge difference compared to standard bulbs. all my vehicles use the silverstar's. No complaints here.

I did take out the guage cluster and bezel. its a total of three phillips screws, and two 10mm bolts. then its just a matter of disconnecting the wires (not hard at all). I pulled the guages though out of necessity. I had two bulbs burnt out. its not very easy to see how fast your going at night with bulbs out! yea i made an estimated guess based on feel, and rpms, but im still new to riding and the bike itself.

but yea, once i got the cluster out, it was simple for the headlamp.

#18 ·
I changed the bulb last night as follows:

1. Remove two 10mm bolts under front of fairing (carefull with several washers on each)
2. Remove 10mm nuts (two each) to remove each mirror (they attach top of fairing)
3. Remove one screw on either side underneath rear end of fairing.
4. Reach inside and unplug red connector (one) for turn signals
5. You'll have to slide the fairing forward a little to unplug headlight connector (it's a tough pull on the plug)
6. Spread the fairing slightly at the rear and pull forward.
7. Peel off rubber from light and replace bulb.
8. Fairing goes on OK, just finagling and spreading rear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.