Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every once in a while I run a tank of fuel until I hit reserve, which has usually been around 200 miles. I'm never far from a gas station, and I use that as a rough gauge to figure fuel mileage. So I always thought it was a 4.8 gal. tank, and that reserve was the 0.8 of that total capacity. ???
Anyway yesterday I was up to 220 miles and still hadn't hit reserve, which made me think I was either getting phenomenal mileage all of a sudden, or I was about to be stranded on an empty tank. I filled up then and pumped 4.3 gallons. So what is the reserve capacity, and/or do you think there is a problem with the petcock using reserve fuel while still in the "on" position?

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
The tank capacity is 18 liters = to 4.756 gal. The reserve is only a lower standpipe than the "On" one, and could be anythig or nothing at all. If the Screen has come off the main part of the valve you will have no reserve.

Pull your petcock.

FOG

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Jason said:
FOG said:
Pull your petcock.
you'll go blind doing that.
That's funny!

Actually... just filling a motorcycle gas tank is an imperfect & variable task that'll creat natural variations of several %. If you're picky y'might average mpg over 3 tanks.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mr SciTrek for some reason I thought you might have a response on this! Yea I know the right way, just too lazy. Thanks though!
FOG thanks for that info. Your advice usually leads to some wrenchin' but its always a great learning experience.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jason said:
don't let the folks see you pulling the petcock tho
Funny as hell, Jason! I think most of us on this board are confident with our smaller displacement. ;D

It's those liter-bike guys that have issues. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts