Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess i'm new around here, I've been riding my ex for about a year. I have a question though, is there a special trick to make the reserve tank come on faster than just flipping up the lever? I've ran out of gas twice and when I flip up the switch I don't get anything, the bike dies and I pull over, and then after a minute on the side I can start it with the reserve and drive to a gas station without a problem.

·
Registered
177 Posts
This is a Dick thing to say, but it's the first thing that came to my mind. So, I apologize in advance but; try not running your bike out of gas, that always works for me...

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
There is NO reserve "tank" only a high and low standpipe connected to the petcock. Your petcock is vacume operated, you need to crank the engine (so the engine vacume will open the petcock) and the wait till some gas runs down into the carbs. before it will start.

Note if you open the throttle anytime during this process you will break the vacume, the petcock will close and you back to square one.

FOG

·
Registered
308 Posts
ive never had that issue. just pay attention when your getting close to "that" time. even running down the highway i can feel my bike begin to hiccup. just reach down, flip it foward, and keep on going. ive never done anything different than the above. takes about 2 sec for the sputtering to stop and im back in the throttle

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
FOG said:
There is NO reserve "tank" only a high and low standpipe connected to the petcock. Your petcock is vacume operated, you need to crank the engine (so the engine vacume will open the petcock) and the wait till some gas runs down into the carbs. before it will start.

Note if you open the throttle anytime during this process you will break the vacume, the petcock will close and you back to square one.

FOG
If I'd have known that I probably could've saved a buddy a trip to bring me gas last summer. I just thought my reserve didn't work or my screen was plugged. Thanks, FOG!

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
ex_dsmr said:
ive never had that issue. just pay attention when your getting close to "that" time. even running down the highway i can feel my bike begin to hiccup. just reach down, flip it foward, and keep on going. ive never done anything different than the above. takes about 2 sec for the sputtering to stop and im back in the throttle
That's the same symptoms as a plugged vent, which I've experienced. That was the reason I pulled over when it did start sputtering (to open the cap and let it breath), but once I did it wouldn't restart.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
no, a plugged vent wouldn't just star working because you changed the feed source. a blocked vent would cause a bogging down and a no fuel situation with gas in the tank and after a short wait it would work 100% again for a few miles then stop again OR when you open the tank lid it popped and all was well.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Knightslugger said:
no, a plugged vent wouldn't just star working because you changed the feed source. a blocked vent would cause a bogging down and a no fuel situation with gas in the tank and after a short wait it would work 100% again for a few miles then stop again OR when you open the tank lid it popped and all was well.
I wasn't saying the fix was the same, but the hiccuping is similar. Both situations caused my bike to stall on throttle. The time I ran out of fuel I thought the vent was plugged and pulled over.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My wife's bike ran out of gas and then we stwitched it over to reserve (lower pipe) we went straight to the gas station. It only took 4.0 gallons. That tells me that there is another 1.8 gallons of fuel to ride on after it goes to the lower pipe. Does everyone else's do that? My GSXR is fuel injected so I don't have a reserve - I have a fiuel light. ;D

·
Registered
200 Posts
total tank volume on the ex is only 4.8 so you had about .8 left give or take.. if you filled it up the whole way

i have put only a max of about 4.5 in my tank at any time.. I thought I remembered reading something about harming stuff if you try to put too much in..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so it's just throttle control to make it pull through huh? I played with it a little bit but it still didn't pull through. well thanks for the help guys

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
closed throttle to get the petcock to open after you run out of fuel and switch to reserve. no playing, it'll start as soon as the fuel gets up to the jet in the carbs.

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
NyoGoat said:
so it's just throttle control to make it pull through huh? I played with it a little bit but it still didn't pull through. well thanks for the help guys
NO IT'S NOT, Unless by control you mean keep your hands off it. If you open the throttle even a tiny bit the engine cannot creat a vacume in the intake passage to open the petcock. There ain't no accelerator pumps like your old 51 ford.

FOG

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
FOG said:

FOG
im glad i have a "prime" setting on my petcock :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
You guys are correct. I do not know where I saw the 5.8 gallon info... My bad...

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
dragknee said:
im glad i have a "prime" setting on my petcock :)
That makes all the difference in the world on my KZ. Are you talking about a different bike, or did you swap a different petcock onto your bike?

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
swapped petcocks. no idea what it came off of. found it in a bin at the local bike junkyard/shop, but it fits perfectly :)

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Nice. I've got a spare bike outside, maybe I can do a little adapting. I think I'll test it first, though, don't want to install a leaker :p.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts