Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked this up for a coupe hundred bucks. It fires up, but carbs are gummed, tank has a hole in it and the bodywork is mostly cracks and swathes of fiberglass on the back. Started doing some work on it, and decided we're going the naked/standard route.
I will share this trip with all of you. I may also need some input to get it running right.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,188 Posts
Looking forward to seeing the progression.

·
Registered
46 Posts
bodywork was total lost.
Any interest in getting rid of the bad body work by packing it in a box and shipping to Dallas, TX? I need some patches for my bodywork and a buddy and I are going to hopefully develop aftermarket body kits for the EX500 line.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any interest in getting rid of the bad body work by packing it in a box and shipping to Dallas, TX? I need some patches for my bodywork and a buddy and I are going to hopefully develop aftermarket body kits for the EX500 line.
I would do that...but I live in Canada...and the fairings are super shitty, a real patchwork of epoxy and fiberglass. You don't want these.

·
Registered
135 Posts
My Opinion:

Yes, I would like a set to look similar to the ER-5; notice it covers the
gap and the radiator, but allows the frame rail and engine to show.

Of course, you can design it according to your own sense of style.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

My Opinion:

Yes, I would like a set to look similar to the ER-5; notice it covers the
gap and the radiator, but allows the frame rail and engine to show.

Of course, you can design it according to your own sense of style.

View attachment 52918
I like that style! Never got the ER-5 here
The EX-500 tank protrudes out over the frame rail and the bare coolant reservoir sits up high and is a bit ugly. Hmmmm...maybe I should replace the coolant tank?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I picked up a smaller coolant reservoir tank, planning to sneak it in the under seat area somewhere behind left side cover, maybe instead of the bungee cord holder.

Here's my progress, so far [also have a round headlight, probably a better look]:

·
Registered
135 Posts
ER-5 Gauges and Headlight Bracket. Gauges used original EX500 wiring;
temp gauge not included; ER-5 has fuel gauge instead.

Bought a set of ER-5 Triple Trees to convert to regular handlebars,
but cannot fit to EX500 without major changes to front fender and front wheel spacing.

Paid a fortune for shipping from Europe to California!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts