Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the EX come with a rev limiter? I've got a '93 that I used once for a track day. It didn't seem like it, but I didn't want to push it too hard for suspension reasons. If it doesn't, what is the aftermarket limiter of choice, and what is the optimum RPM to set it at?

Thanks very much.

·
Registered
722 Posts
no limiter, very few electronics of any sort on these bikes. Only rev limiter I can think of for the bike is that thing laying about in your head.

S

·
0 Posts
Yes it does, pull in the clutch and open the throttle....can't remember the rpm off hand :p

·
Registered
722 Posts
FOG said:
There isn't any rev Limiter.

What you have felt is the program of the CID ending. This happens way beyond the safe limit for the engine and should be avoided. By ending I mean it doesn't know what to do and the sparks from there on are just random and could cause Detonation. Just a little more over-revving from there (like backshifting down a hill) will open the big ends and spin bearings. = instant junk engine.

FOG
found in another thread.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
far as I know, the bike doesnt have a limiter. I know my 97 didnt. I was quite lucky when I caught a false neutral between 3rd and 4th and saw 11500 or so on my tach and thought the bike was gonna go BOOM. luckily, it was only a split second, and I got it into 4th and WELL below the redline again. thank god I didnt blow it up that day.

S

·
0 Posts
Alright let me rephrase, The CID ends and the revs will not go any higher. Maybe not by definition but by default the revs seem pretty limited at that point to me...... detonation has yet to occur on my bike and it has sat in this area many times. Mostly "When I get cut off by drivers to busy to check a blind spot" the horn just sounds way to *****

Normally driving U Should never get in the red, and if you over rev it and spin a bearing or detonate it you are truly talented. but hey, ex500 engines are a dime a dozen so who cares

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Has anyone retro-fitted a rev limiter on their EX for track use? What is a good brand/model to recommend, and (again) what is the optimum safe RPM at which to set it?

Thanks. I'm having too much fun with this bike, and I don't want to blow it up...

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
personally, I'd set it at 10500, just to be safe. but thats me.

·
Registered
101 Posts
hmm, I first thought that my bike (Gpz 500 s, brought from germany :eek:) has no limiter, but now when I rode it and took it to the redline, it seems so that it has one.
first time it was on a freeway @ about 60-70mph/100-120km/h, I dont remember which gear I was in, but downshifted to pass a car (revs climbed up to 7500) hit the WOT and passed the car.
well. then I dont know why I didn't shift to higher gear(it was too cool to be at wot :D), but the revs hit 10500-11000(not sure, but not more than 11k) and instantly dropped to about 8000rpm jerking me forward.
I was like WTF.

Now when I was aware of that, I went to a fast road on purpose and hit WOT to find out if there is any limiter. same thing. 11k--->8k and "WTF!". Did it couple of times more(one time even my rear tire made a sound and a flat spot when downshifting to a stop), and now I am quite sure that there IS (at least on my bike) a rev limiter.

correct me if I'm wrong :)

·
Registered
722 Posts
illusion said:
hmm, I first thought that my bike (Gpz 500 s, brought from germany :eek:) has no limiter, but now when I rode it and took it to the redline, it seems so that it has one.
first time it was on a freeway @ about 60-70mph/100-120km/h, I dont remember which gear I was in, but downshifted to pass a car (revs climbed up to 7500) hit the WOT and passed the car.
well. then I dont know why I didn't shift to higher gear(it was too cool to be at wot :D), but the revs hit 10500-11000(not sure, but not more than 11k) and instantly dropped to about 8000rpm jerking me forward.
I was like WTF.

Now when I was aware of that, I went to a fast road on purpose and hit WOT to find out if there is any limiter. same thing. 11k--->8k and "WTF!". Did it couple of times more(one time even my rear tire made a sound and a flat spot when downshifting to a stop), and now I am quite sure that there IS (at least on my bike) a rev limiter.

correct me if I'm wrong :)
it's the digital ignition reaching the end of its circuit. causing the sparks to come at random.

·
Registered
101 Posts
well what I understood from the other topic, fog posted this:"What you have felt is the program of the CID ending. This happens way beyond the safe limit for the engine and should be avoided",
is that this happens somewhere over 12-13k rpm :eek:

isn't the "safe limit" the redline?
my bike's rpm's don't go over 11k and that's why I think that there is a limiter (at least on this bike :O)

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'd say there's no limiter, I've already gone into red maybe 6 times and deep into red 3 times, far past what would be considered wise and past where a limiter should be. (and BTW, didn't mean to, just downshifted to get out of bad spots and the RPMs were already high up there, price to pay when you put a lot of weight on a small bike, prolly about 250 lbs total load)

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
My understanding is that rev limiters can only help when increasing RPM's, not during a downshift event. I believe a traditional rev limiter is implemented by programming the ECU to cut out when a certain RPM is reached - no help when the engine is being mechanically turned by the rear tire.

To help prevent over-revving during a downshift, you'd need either a sophisticated electronic system to prevent downshifts when needed or a slipper clutch, I suppose?

·
Registered
261 Posts
That's logical. If the ignition has pushed the RPMs to the limit, mechanically increasing the RPMs with gearing will take over and rev up even further, even if you cut the ignition. Although in my case that wasn't the reason, I think I was at about 8k and dropping a gear left me such a short RPM range that just a slight twist of the throttle ran it right past red.

·
Registered
146 Posts
My Fazer has a rev limiter. Overev it and the waterpump outlet o-ring blows out, spewing hot coolant all over your foot. Drops the RPMs right off...

·
Registered
23 Posts
My 07' is supposed to rev limit at 12k. Mines not broke in yet nor do i intend to find out intentially, but that is what the guy at the shop i bought mine at said.

·
Registered
19,362 Posts
It dosn't and he dosn't know what hes talking about . Find a new shop.

FOG

·
Registered
27 Posts
Resurrecting an old post:

My project bike is a ’07 that has had a rough previous life. In the process of getting it to run correctly and doing some needed maintenance, I have “hit” was I thought was the rev limiter a couple of times driving “spiritedly” prior to an up-shift. Now I read here that there isn’t a rev limiter, but instead it’s the CDI that freaks out at a really high RPM.

I’ve run a plenty of extreme high performance sport bikes and will be the first to say I’m not use to the EX. I could easily be wrong, however it does sound/fill just like it has a rev limiter. I’m currently running without any gauges and I can’t say for sure, but it does fill consistently somewhere around 11K RPM every time I’ve hit the limiter/CDI freak mode. I sure hope it hasn’t been 13K ……

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
it is a rev limiter. it limits the revs by reaching then end of it's ignition map capabilities. if the engine were to go any faster, the CDI couldn't keep up and you will get either advanced or retarded ignition which would not make power, and therefore it limits the speed the engine can operate normally.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Knightslugger said:
it is a rev limiter. it limits the revs by reaching then end of it's ignition map capabilities. if the engine were to go any faster, the CDI couldn't keep up and you will get either advanced or retarded ignition which would not make power, and therefore it limits the speed the engine can operate normally.
When you are accellerating hard it feels like the power starts to disappear just prior to hitting the red line, a good indication it's time to shift.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts