Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought I'd go ahead and start this thread now....been a busy couple of days sorta. I'm starting this thread because I'm waiting for my video to finish uploading to YouTube. Currently showing 10% with 36 minutes to go.

To set the stage for this video, my old riding buddy Pete and I decided we both needed to get out for a ride so we planned on meeting at a place called Downtown Joe's in Napa. It's down by the Napa river and essentially in the middle of the old part of Napa.

I thought that I'd go ahead and ride the one route of my favorite roads that I knew would be open. To that end, I rode out to Wooden Valley Road, stopping at Mankas Corner to start my video (I have to remove my helmet to do it).

From there, I rode to Wooden Valley Road and headed out towards Hwy 128. I planned on taking 128 over the mountain to Napa rather than my more typical route to the right and out to Lake Berryessa. As the lake is closed due to the LNU complex fire that ripped through there last month, I thought it best to stay away until some semblance of normalcy is achieved.

Wooden Valley presented no new challenges and appeared to be completely unaltered by any fire damage. As is clear by the video. There was a bit of smoke to deal with but not as bad as it's been. Also, the ash fall was greatly reduced so riding was not affected.

Made it to Napa in around a half an hour. Would have been a bit faster but got stuck behind some 4 wheel traffic that I had to contend with for a bit. After that, my GPS app on my phone started acting up.

It kept turning upside down on my phone while I was riding. So I'd glance at it and follow the turn it indicated only to wind up where I knew I shouldn't be. It wasn't until I took my phone out of my tank bag pocket that I realized what was going on.

Anyway, between that and a road closure in down town Napa, it took me an additional 10 minutes to get to Downtown Joe's. More than it should have in other words.
The ride home I did not video as I'd run out of SD card space. It was mostly uneventful other than a late 80s Firebird thought they'd get all aggressive with me in the straight line run where the speed limit is 40 mph. I was already doing 45 and this 'tard was up my tail pipe. Guess he thought he was gonna stay with me up the mountain?

I dunno. I hit the first right turn and he was still right back there. I turned the loud handle just a little bit more and lost sight of him after a few more corners. Made it back over the mountain and Wooden Valley to my place in about 45 minutes or so. There was more traffic to deal with on a Friday afternoon than I'm used to on those roads.

Reactions: bpe

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Doesn't look too bad out that way. I'm hoping to ride out to Sac this weekend and plan on taking 128 out from Silverado Trail. I'll let you know if the road is open and what the condition is.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts