Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
since riding at night recently, I decided to go to walmart and pick up a pair of these glasses with amber lenses to see how they'd affect my vision at night. I think they help a lot with the glare from headlights and improve clarity overall for me while I'm riding. only downside is I have to flip my visor up because I"ve got the mirrored shield and it makes night riding tough because it tends to darken the picture I'm seeing outside my helmet.

just posting this because I want to know who else uses these kind of glasses.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
They seem to work pretty well. Until your post, I forgot that, many years ago, I used to use them at night, in the Ozarks. At this time of year the mist was so bad that I could hardly see. It was almost better to ride with no lights!

(Of course, today you don't have that option, since all lights are on all the time.)

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I have 2 pairs of prescription glasses. one for riding and the other pair I'm always wearing. Does it count ?

Adidas Evil Eye pro L

Oakley Square Wire 2.0

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
I always use sunglasses during the day, even with my arai dark shield.
At night I use my script glasses. My distance vision is such that, after my last eye test, they wanted to know why I wanted glasses at all. I have more of a depth perception problem at night. I didn't tell them that I was trying to see how many deer were leaping in front of me at once and how far away they were!

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
These are the favs of many a comicbook reader of the 60's.

·
Registered
633 Posts
just make sure that the glasses you buy are shatter resistant, you don't want to get hit with a small rock and explode sending glass all in your eyes.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
The problem w sun glasses involves the non-protected areas of your face and:

rain, hail, bumblebees, grasshoppers, gnats, pebbles & rocks tossed up by tires...

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
MrSciTrek said:
These are the favs of many a comicbook reader of the 60's.
After the geek bought the x-ray glasses, he had to send in for the Joe Wieder body building course, too, after the jock caught him spying on his girlfriend and beat him up.

Now the geeks just use camera phones for upskirt shots!

(At least using a dark shield, you can spy on the girls waiting for the bus....)

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
derf said:
just make sure that the glasses you buy are shatter resistant, you don't want to get hit with a small rock and explode sending glass all in your eyes.
That is a real good point!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
a few months back, i got a set of the AOS shooting safety glasses for riding with the visor up. the yellow works great at night to keep others headlights from blinding me, even at high beam intensity. they also wrap around quite well and keep wind and foreign objects (i'll tell you i've cleaned a fair number of bugs off of them) from my eyes.

if its raining, i put the visor down no matter what, and if i'm behind a car where there's a lot of fine grit, or if a large truck goes by the opposite direction, i'll also put it down for a bit. in FL, if you don't want to soak your head with sweat, you ride with the visor up. i have a clear visor that's there pretty much just in case it rains. also, depending on how chilly it gets during the winter i'll put the visor down for less windchill/face numb.

i've occasionally ridden with my sunglasses under my helmet, but since i got the safety glasses, i only wear them if i'm going on a short trip <5 minutes or so, or if i definitely go with the visor down (winter time). i used to ride with my sunglasses (arnette catfish) all the time, but they got a bit sandblasted, so i figured i'd just let a cheapo pair of wally world safety glasses take the brunt of sand and grit during the summertime. i wear my sunglasses nearly 100% of the daytime, and i have good vision (never needed glasses of any kind), so if i don't wear anything, i'm squinting through the clear visor... ugh!

G

·
I was reading on another forum that it's a bad idea to wear amber glasses at night. Here's why:

"It is an all too common misconception that yellow tinted or yellow polarized night driving glasses are beneficial for night time driving. The thought is, the yellow or amber color reduces glare and improves contrast. However, in reality, when driving at night or dusk in already limited lighting conditions, ANY tint further reduces the amount of light transmitted to the eye, and consequently, further impairs vision. The problem is compounded as the yellow tint gives the wearer the impression they are seeing better, when in fact the reverse is actually true."

Quoted from http://www.laramyk.com/learn/night_driving.html

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
in this case, i'm willing to accept a diminished % of light coming into my eyes, in fact, that's the desire. pure white light destroys rhodopsin (visual purple), the chemical responsible for night vision. the remaining amount of light entering my eyes is just fine for me to ride home (or anywhere else) safely. in addition, it's much easier to see through the glasses than a visor with glare.

i'd much rather see a little less well 100% of the time, than see 100% until i keep getting idiots drive by me with their high beams on and having severely reduced vision the rest of the way home. the high beams in my eyes happens to me EVERY night on my way home from work, and not just for a second, but i have to flash my high beams so they remember that they're dumb and left theirs on. geez people!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts