Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a thread on this a decade or so on the forum for what I was riding then and some agreed that I was not crazy.

So I haven't been able to ride for over two weeks now, and my lower back is starting to ache consistently, which hasn't been an issue for some time. I've long held the notion that something about the slight forward lean and a bit of bouncing does something beneficial for the back. It's obviously just a theory, but I'm curious if others have found this to be true. I can only speak for the standard riding ergonomics, as that is all I know.

·
Registered
19,321 Posts
I haft ta tell ya. Been a card in the rack customer at the Chiropractor for 60 years, until recentlly
a few years ago I started YOGA EXCERCISE for just general health maintenance . I mentioned to my instructor that I had a "bad Back" , She took it as a challenge and devised a program just for me and not 2 years later I am completely back pain free. Still can't touch my toes ,but I don't hurt.
I go to the senior Citizens twice a week for free, there is 20 senior ladies (trying to be polite here) there that kick my butt.

FOG

Reactions: Devilsfan

·
Registered
786 Posts
I don't think it's riding the bike. more a question of training certain muscles to do certain things. one suffers then when either stopping or doing something else. I don't in particular like the riding position of the EX after a long ride I can do a good impression of John Wayne for a couple of days. yet can ride a pedal cycle in the same period without issues.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I don't think that is something you can generalize about; it depends on the individual back. For me, my back feels way better after a long stint on my Ninja than it does after a similar stint on my BMW K75 (which is supposed to be the cruiser). Golf helps a lot (all the gentle twisting and stretching is what does the trick, I think). In fact, taking up golf is what salvaged my back after decades spent leaning over a fender working on cars.

Sitting for long periods in a chair in front of the computer is definitely bad. Bicycling is generally beneficial. I've never tried yoga but I can totally believe it would be good to keep things stretched and limber. I've got a series of stretching and twisting exercises I do on my hands and knees in the living room when things start to go sideways.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have suffered back pain for years. Every now and then it gets really bad. After trying physio/chiropractors etc I bought a vibration plate. Basically you stand on it, switch it on and it shakes the bejesus out of you for ten minutes. By altering your leg position you can adjust where the vibration hits your back. After a few sessions (and I mean 3 or 4 not 30 or 40) my back was 'cured', the result is that I am completely pain free for several months before it creeps back again.
I don't recommend this for anyone with a serious back problem as it may cause more pain but for a general bad back it works for me.
It might not be the bike riding helping your back but more likely bad posture when you're not riding.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
The riding position has always suited me, at least as far as my upper body goes. I'm tall (6'3"), so it means I can easily reach the handlebars and get myself to an almost neutral position. Different story for my legs, my legs are folded up pretty good on an EX. Wasn't much of an issue in my early 20's. It's still not a serious issue now in my early 30's, but I do notice cramping more, so it'll be a more notable issue in the near future.

Back to the lower back debate. I tweaked my lower back pretty good in a freak running accident many years ago. I had already been riding for a while at this point and even during recovery, I never noticed my riding position on the EX to be affected by my injury, or vice a versa. I got the chance to ride a few cruisers a couple years after that accident and that's where I found problems. The relaxed, laid back riding position allowed my lower back to bend and with no support, that became uncomfortable in a hurry. I have found the same problem in cars which lack decent lumbar support.

So, for me, the riding position of the EX is just right for my back and doesn't put any pressure on any points.

Something to add to this though. I work a job with a good amount of physical aspect, using my full range of motion, so that helps maintain physical fitness and core and back muscles. I am also a serious trail runner these days (think 40+ miles a week with 8,000 feet of elevation gain) and one of the unexpected benefits I've received is seriously improved core strength, which has helped loads with my old back injury, providing much better support for the connective tissues. Also, you can't run that much with bad posture, so I walk around with excellent posture, which aids with my lower back.

My perspective on your question plus some food for thought.

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
I tend to agree with regard to differing posture required to ride a cruiser or even an adventure bike.

I’ve ridden them and honestly my back was worse after riding a BMW GS than it has ever been on my Aprilia.

I’d say the same goes for my Ducati. And either of my GSXRs.

Cruisers....well....first off, I think it depends on the cruiser. A Road King didn’t bother my back at all. The Dyna did though.

It took some thought to reach a conclusion about why. All I could come up with was that the forward set controls on the Dyna are wholly unsuitable. Because my body weight had to borne entirely by my lower spine.

The Road King had floor boards which put my feet directly below my CG. This allowed me to bear some of my body weight on my legs.

Hence my being able to use them as extra suspension when the road got bumpy.

Technically, the Road King is a bagger tho, so maybe I should have written about it as a separate experience.

Regardless, I see an acupuncturist every couple of weeks. That has helped my back more than PT, chiro or drugs ever have.....and Chiro helped me out a great deal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts