Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, im new to riding. been riding for a grand total of four days (maybe 5 hours total..). I love it, its a blast. im starting to feel out the countersteering. really is amazing. came across a corner today that kinda threw me for a loop.

traveling on a road at about 40 mph, saw my turn (90* right hander)..downshifted, and entered corner, at a very manageable speed (no more than 25 mph, as i still am not THAT great at tight corners.) anyhow, the corner goes from a flat road, to a hill. so its a tight, uphill corner. man, i leaned into it ever so slightly, seemed ok, but as soon as the slope came on, i went WAY wide ( didnt quite cross lanes, but close). Should i treat this as a increasing radius? or is there a better way to attack this? (im gonna keep driving this corner til i get it 100%)

on the other side, i had a nice decreasing radius corner, that was downhill. man. just flet so effortless in that corner...well, aside from the nice pothole at the end.lol..

but yea, if you guys can share any links, tips, that would rock!

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Never outrun your line of sight. <= Be sure you can always come to a full stop on the portion that you can see.

Drive as if you were invisible (no ones sees you anyways) ;)

C

·
0 Posts
Back in the days before the internal combustion engine, when rail was king and FOG had just gotten his license, reputable physicians speculated that humans would not be able to travel faster than 40 mph because such extreme velocities would surely make our head explode.
Our evolution has not exactly kept pace with our technology, and one symptom is our eyesite tends to focus on points rather than ~flow~ which is what we need to be when 'looking through' corners.
So one instinct we have to overcome is the tendency to look at certain points, to overcome distractions, and learn to look through the corner. Practice doing that (and keeping your head level) while you're riding slowly and try to make both a habit.

We've all had that same thought when entering a corner, "Shoot. I'm coming in a little hot...." Then you either:

~focus on a point at the guardrail or the side of the road, for a suitable place to crash, OR
~increase your lean angle and (GENTLY) ease off the throttle while continuing to look through the turn.

You'd be amazed at how fast you can take corners when you remain focused. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Peace!
-CCinC

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have to agree with calamarichris's explanation.

As it was explained to me, "You steer with your eyes." Especially in those awkward moments when you realize you entered the turn too fast. I experienced calamarichris's first option, once. Fortunately, there was no traffic as I went wide, right into the point at the side of the road I was fixated on. That was an eye opener.

It is surprising how far you can lean a bike with focus and practice.

If you haven't already done it, take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) course. And practice the exercises they teach. Around here anyway, the exercise layouts are painted on parking lots that are publicly accessible. I regularly go practice on them. And it doesn't hurt to re-take the course every few years, or whenever you upgrade to a new ride.
Their Library/Safety Tips site is http://www.msf-usa.org/index_new.cfm?spl=2&action=display&pagename=Library

You might also check out the articles section of beginnerbikers.org at http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=42

·
Registered
32 Posts
Most important, like stated above, look all the way through the end of a corner. If you can't see the end look as far as possible & keep adjusting your vision. This will also make you feel like you are not going fast. This in turn will help alleviate the Oh shite - I am going in to this corner too hot.

Counter steering is your friend. :)

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
awesome guys thanks for the input.

I've found myself to be very comfortable, and relaxed on the bike. I have however had a few times where i've come in "too hot" for my skill level (im not doing twistys, just every day driving right now). kinda freaky, because i dont have a natural reaction, other than slow it down. i gotta learn to countersteer/lean a bit more, and just go with the flow of the bike.

again, thanks for the input!!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've had one of those "oh **** im going in to hot" moments. It was just regular riding. A little trip to purchase something. I went into this corner alittle faster than I thought I was, a minivan to the left of me turning as well. I'm like OK, I can go wide and hit the cage, get run over, blah blah blah, or just look through the turn and let the bike do the work. Well with that said I looked through the turn, bike leaned far(first time a peg touched the ground for me) and I was able to stay in my alloted turning lane. After that I started to slow down alittle extra for every turn. I'd feel much happier doing that on a track. It really is scary as **** on the street, not to mention dangerous as all hell.

·
Registered
21 Posts
ill have to reiterate bhd's post. I've just experienced the "aw hell... too fast..." moment just last week on a 90° right turn. i was thinking to myself, "OK I've taken this turn pretty slow and i think I've got it down. lets try going a littel faster." needless to say, i was lucky there was no vehicle in the opposite lane, otherwise i would've faceplanted into their windshield. afterward, i remember something the instructor at the MSF course once said which was "trust the bike." thanks for the reminders guys (IE see through the turn, lean in more)

one thing i was curious about, i noticed that sometimes when i get nervous, i grip the handlebars a little too tightly. that's bad right?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have another question. a few days back, i was riding on a local highway, and come upon some construction. The lane i was in was being worked on, and was ground down. the condition of the surface was horrible, and made the bike go all sorts of not straight. i didn't like the feel of it, but didn't like the idea of switching lanes. why?

switching lanes involved me riding over the bump (height difference in pavement.) between lanes. i cant say it was a ton, but probably a solid 2 inches. not like it was rounded off to help smooth it out either. i ended up getting off at an exit that was ground down. crossed the bump at a 90* angle, so there was no issue.

so my question is, how should i attack that "bump" between paved & unpaved lanes?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Slowly, and as close to perpendicular as possible. I got forced into one of those lanes (and then forced out) when I first got the bike. Hit the 3" ridge at nearly parallel and at 80mph. Scariest point of my time on the bike, but the bike actually did ok (wobbled like crazy, though). Later, at 55mph and about 30 degrees, I barely even noticed the edge.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Getting closer to 90* angle is the best but it's not all there is to it.. Slowing down also help a lot.

Last year I had came to contruction work but the bump was perpendicular. I hit it at 30 mph and ended up having a perfect 45* angle stoppie position while flying in the air... I remember having my knees higher than my hands while holding for my dear life.

I landed on the front wheel, got the rear back in touch with the tarmac in the same track as the front and kept on riding..

I passed later and saw the bump was perfectly square at 3 inches high.

*Don't try this at home ! It's not fun. Did not do it on purpose.* I wasn't paying enough attention :-[

·
Registered
263 Posts
anyone else think this guy is riding aggressive for a newb. i've been riding for 2 months now and took the msf course when i started and i always take turns much much slower especially sharp right turns. the only time i fell was at 10 mph when making a sharp right turn and the road was covered in gravel(1st week of riding) since then i have been much more cautious and aware. maybe im just paranoid and should take turns with full gas and lean like you racers do(knees touching the floor). id rather be under speed and gas later then way over speed and end up goin wide.

·
Registered
263 Posts
^ also after i fell because of gravel, when i went to the msf course the following sat. the instructor discussed the danger of gravel on the road. while he was lecturing i was smiling in my chair.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
At 30 mph I was already slowing down the traffic, it's crazy driving in Montréal :mad:

A couple of cars bottomed out and chewed some asphalt off over there. As I was passing back a guy bent his rims and blew both front tires..

·
Registered
263 Posts
for me a turn at 25mph would have to be a large radius left/right turn. dont really no my limits yet and not very excited to find out. i dont want to find myself lying on the floor after an accident think "maybe im not ready for that yet" :D

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
That's the right approach ;)

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
captb said:
anyone else think this guy is riding aggressive for a newb. i've been riding for 2 months now and took the msf course when i started and i always take turns much much slower especially sharp right turns. the only time i fell was at 10 mph when making a sharp right turn and the road was covered in gravel(1st week of riding) since then i have been much more cautious and aware. maybe im just paranoid and should take turns with full gas and lean like you racers do(knees touching the floor). id rather be under speed and gas later then way over speed and end up goin wide.
nope. i think my riding skills are just fine thanks. i need improvement yes, but that comes with time and practice. I practice by testing the bike in certian situations. im constantly pushing the bike to see where its limits are, but by no means am i riding like an idiot on the road. i want to take it to the track soon, to really find out where the bike can can can't go. if you don't know me, please don't judge me.

·
Registered
263 Posts
not judging, just a matter of safety for you and those around you. i havent been riding for long but know everytime i ride i am not even coming close to my limits or the bikes, also they teach you at msf course that anyone can go 100mph in a straight line but the skill were much practice is involved is at the slowest speeds were you must shift your wait and control your lean and speed. all im saying is take it slow and doing similar things at fast speeds will come more naturally later, when i first started and even now i go to an empty parking lot and practice slow zigzags and small radius u-turns.

didnt mean to offend you, sorry.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
not a prob, just hate being judged, much the same dislike judging others.

anyhow, on the low speed stuff, i continually try to get better at that. i can make a U-turn in a little over 1 parking space (i guess standard size.., not the retarded huge ones..) i try to roll as slow as i can, as long as i can to get better balance..i follow lines, do quick manuevers (again, low speed) all kinds of stuff. basically i want to be ready for that "what-if" situation when it comes about. when i called about the msf course, the list was full until october..holy crap..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts