Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how does our bike handle with another person on it. i think my gf is crazy enough to get on the back with me. i've never ridden with a passenger any tips or suggestions ?

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Take it easy, leave plenty of space, make sure the backseat understand they have to be one with the bike and not leaning or making quick movements that could throw both of you off balance.

The bike won't be nimble anymore.

Also realise that the passengers will probably weight close to the vehicle's own weight..

It's doable, but take it really easy.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
What Frog said. you gotta remember also, that the bike wont be as fast as it is with one person on it either.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I feel like I should put even more emphasis on the fact that the braking distance will increase a lot. Especially if your backseat rider doesn't know how to hold herself and lean on you every time you're scrubbing off speed.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
My wife and I add about 340 LBS to the poor little bikes weight and the front forks will really dive under braking, if you aren't careful! She said it is actually comfortable for rides of about an hour at a time.

Some bikes you can hardly tell if somebody is on the back, but this isn't one of them, unless you and your passenger come from the land of OZ or have gone on the Karen Carpenter weight loss regime.

·
Registered
267 Posts
exer said:
Some bikes you can hardly tell if somebody is on the back, but this isn't one of them, unless you and your passenger come from the land of OZ or have gone on the Karen Carpenter weight loss regime.
I'm not too terribly large and my current passenger clocks in around 100 lbs... I can hardly tell she's back there until she moves or does something dumb while we're turning. I can, however, tell a difference in braking... your stopping distance will be significantly increased.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Just treat having a passenger the same way you'd treat a bike you've never ridden before, because a bike with a passenger on it handles nothing like the same bike without a passenger on it.

Keep in mind that you are taking on the responsibility for another's life in your hands. Also keep in mind that your actions can make an enemy or a friend of someone, when it comes to the motorcycle cause.

Here are a couple of articles to read;
http://www.chuckhawks.com/friend_riding.htm
http://www.chuckhawks.com/motorcycle_passenger_tips.htm

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Done many miles 2 up on my EX in the 50,000 street miles i've put on her, best to set some rules, like tell her to hold on and just sit straight up, don't try to lean either way. I've had 'em where they lean the wrong way and it really throws the bike off. Point out the exhaust and how hot it gets...
Gave a hottie outside a club a ride once back with stock pipes, she was in a skirt, got off and stood with her leg against the pipe long enough to leave a 4" circle of skin stuck to my pipe, however cooly enough (at least i thought so) it now read "kawasaki" on her calf backwards. ;D

Also, I've THREE TIMES had girls pass out/fall asleep on the back of the bike on the way home from clubs in Tampa while on the 10 mile interstate bridge across Tampa Bay....here's what you do, lean all the way fwd and arch your shoulders back so her helmet fits between your shoulder blades (a most uncomfortable position eventually) and reach around with your left arm behind her back and hold her on and fwd with that arm. Great fun. ;D

·
Registered
347 Posts
I've never had a passenger on my bike, but when I do I'll start the same way I did alone... in an empty parking lot for a few days.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah. thats what i was thinking. some good time in the parking lot. she has no clue what to do either. if she leans over or something like that will we fall over, like what kind of things should i already know that i should tell her.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It helps when your passenger has taken the mrf course ;)

My wife has her own bike, but sometimes its just as fun for us to jump on my bike. I just leave lots of room to stop, and don't take any chances because now Ive got 2 lives in my hands.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
passenger passing out

If I hear snoring from behind me, I'm gonna be concerned!
I think I would take some extra bungees, just in case.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Re: passenger passing out

exer said:
If I hear snoring from behind me, I'm gonna be concerned!
I think I would take some extra bungees, just in case.
Lol !

there are harness for little kids that want to ride, you basically strap them to your back. I wonder if it could fit an adult ??? ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
One of the reasons I selected the 500 is the passenger (back seat driver) area is fairly comfortable. I ride with 4 different sized family members on the back and haven't had any bike related complaints yet. Almost all of the rocket ships out there make the passenger sit in a vertical prostate exam position. :eek: Sport touring with family is a great shared experience. ...

Kevin

·
Registered
243 Posts
I ride with a passenger all the time. Our combined weight is ~360 lbs and I feel fine on it. Obviously the turning isn't as nimble as when you are alone but you don't feel like you are driving an 18-wheeler. I once made the mistake of bringing on a 230lbs guy, it seemed like the bike just did not want to turn, it was horrible. When I do my usual riding with my girlfriend, she normally holds on to my side during regular riding (the back handle bar feels a little unsafe). Whenever turning she leans very slightly with me, when breaking she puts both hands on the gas tank to avoid sliding up on me. Riding with a passenger is just great!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts