Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm takin' a trip to San Francisco this weekend from LA. This will be the longest road trip I will have taken my bike on. You suggest anything special for me to bring? Besides liquids, snacks and Tylenol--for my boys and my back?

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Lucky#13 said:
Power bars . For protien and carbs . Makes haste not waste ;)
Whoa... that's a truly fine & funny use of the phrase! :D

·
Registered
270 Posts
which seat cover do you recommend for our ex?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Pillion Type 1 is the one I have. Alaska Leather recommends it for sport-type motorcycle seats.

kkrause: I don't think you'll have time to order online neither the seat pad nor the throttle rocker. At the very least I recommend installing softer grips.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I packed some screwdrivers, allen wrenches, and a pair of pliers when I went down to cedar point. You never know when something unexpected is gonna happen, and those few tools will handle most small jobs on our bike (and doesn't take up much space, either).

·
Registered
216 Posts
Riding up the coast I hope...

I find zip ties and large hose clamps can repair a variety of random problems.

R

·
0 Posts
Ear plugs.
Water.
Tool kit.
Zip ties/Duct tape.
Snacks.
A live chicken.

*One of those items should not be brought on the bike.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
Royson said:
Ear plugs.
Water.
Tool kit.
Zip ties/Duct tape.
Snacks.
A live chicken.

... but rather tied to your swing arm and drug behind you on your journey. makes it really tender.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Knightslugger said:
Royson said:
Ear plugs.
Water.
Tool kit.
Zip ties/Duct tape.
Snacks.
A live chicken.

... but rather tied to your swing arm and drug behind you on your journey. makes it really tender.
Also makes the job of defeathering and skinning the chicken a whole lot easier.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
^ i searched and searched for a screen cap of the scene from national lampoon's vacation, where he ties the dog to the bumper, then the cop pulls him over 30 miles later.... this is the best i could find :(

Motorcycle Cop: Do you know what the penalty for animal cruelty is in this state?
Clark: No, sir, I don't.
Motorcycle Cop: Well... it's probably pretty stiff.

·
Registered
270 Posts
HAHAHA thats terrible he should be dragged from that car.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Nice links, I ordered a butt pad from Alaska and the Throttle thingy..

the Alaska site also had these things that i need:

Glare Reducer $9.95 (my morning comute is right into the sun, even my tinted visor ain't helping)

Halo Helmet Reflective System $9.95

visability always a plus..

For grips I like the foam ones made by Johar of California, thick foam that seems to soak up some of the bad vibes... : )

They have them for $6.95 in 3 colors here:

http://www.instantop.com/CyclePage/Grips_7_8inch.htm

·
Registered
31 Posts
Earplugs are a must for long distance riding. We use the etymotic er6i earphones. They are noise cancelling and it really makes for a much nicer trip. My wife listens to her XM radio and plug into my Ipod. In time you should also purchase an Autocom system. I have the Active plus on the GSXR and we are looking for another one for the 500R. With the Autocom I have 2-way radio, cell phone, Ipod and radar detector all plugged into it. The quality is excellent. I can use the cell phone and have talked to my wife while riding at 150+ mph and the sound is crystal clear, she could not tell that I was going that fast, either.
If you can't afford an Autocom save up for it. I have tried the other brands and I have spent enough money on all of them to purchase 2 Autocoms. The quality is the best and you will enjoy getting it right the first time. The Chatterbox GMRS is the same price, but not the same quality - been there & done that, too. Also, you don't have to waste your money on the Kenwood radio, a motorola works just as good and will save you about $200 per radio.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts