Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 91 ex500 few months ago. It has 10k miles, it sat for 4 years… my buddy rebuilt carb than I cleaned gas tank, got a gen 2 pet cock, changed fuel line, plugged vac line that would originally go to gen 1 pet cock. After a can of some carb spray we finally got it going! It was idling on its own after it warmed up a little bit (idle screw bent as well). The next day it started right up I went down the street and it was riding great than all of a sudden it just slowly died. After 2 mins of cussing at it, started back up and boom did it again, 3rd time luckily got to my buddys house. Would not start from there. We bump started it down his drive way and it drove for 15 seconds than died. Haven’t got it to start since. I changed the plugs, still nothing. This is my first bike, I’m not a bike guy by any means. I can research and figure it out though.When I go to start it even since first day it ran in 4 years it makes this horrible clunking sound. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start…

·
Administrator
15,588 Posts
WELCOME to the EX500 forum. I'll submit your carbs are not "spot on", possibly out of synch as well. 4 years of sitting takes its toll, varnish can be tricky to remove from circuits, some not visible to the eye.

You've confirmed it IS sparking (and thereby running) on both cylinders, when it is running? Air filter clean, foam not rotting? New (?) battery stable, good voltage?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
oh boy. so many inconsistencies it's hard to know where to start.
1. the is no difference between a gen 1 petcock and a gen 2 petcock, they are the same both have a vac line from the left side carb. if you don't have a vac line it's A. not getting fuel to the carbs as the vac operated valve is closed, or B it is a non vac aftermarket petcock without one. it cannot be both. check fuel is flowing down the pipe to the carbs.

2. bent idle screw is red flag. why use it. going to need a complete overhaul kit at least. and set the carbs up correctly.
including float heights (using a wet test) choke plunger operation and when running a carb balance.

3. the symptoms you have seem fuel related (so familier) but also check the battery is 100% and the flywheel has all it's magnets. which leads to.

4. you have a gen 1 (1991) so can expect some problematic issues cured by the time the gen 2 came out (1994-on)
the flywheel has exposed magnets that falloff when the resin glue hardens, then the magnets get chewed up between the flywheel and stator. creating havoc inside the case. also the CCT (cam chain tensioner) is useless and destroys itself allowing the chain to run slack. (a source of a heavy rattle in the engine) also. yes there is more. the bolts on the back of the starter clutch (behind the flywheel) can back out causing a horrendous rattle and engine damage. you need to check all of the above and come back with some answers when you have looked properly..

and yes Thanks @ducatiman (I nearly forgot.) welcome to the EX500 forum.

·
Registered
19,706 Posts
Sounds like full tank blocked filler vent

Fog

·
Administrator
15,588 Posts

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I bought my 91 ex500 few months ago. It has 10k miles, it sat for 4 years… my buddy rebuilt carb than I cleaned gas tank, got a gen 2 pet cock, changed fuel line, plugged vac line that would originally go to gen 1 pet cock. After a can of some carb spray we finally got it going! It was idling on its own after it warmed up a little bit (idle screw bent as well). The next day it started right up I went down the street and it was riding great than all of a sudden it just slowly died. After 2 mins of cussing at it, started back up and boom did it again, 3rd time luckily got to my buddys house. Would not start from there. We bump started it down his drive way and it drove for 15 seconds than died. Haven’t got it to start since. I changed the plugs, still nothing. This is my first bike, I’m not a bike guy by any means. I can research and figure it out though.When I go to start it even since first day it ran in 4 years it makes this horrible clunking sound. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start…
Betcha ya got one of those Chinese petcocks. The one with the 150cc scooter-sized passages? The ones with the screens that are so small and the mesh so tiny that sufficient fuel will not flow. Compare the diameter of the brass tube on the OEM petcock to the one you have now. Best to get a kit or clean your original petcock. My '87 is running on the original just fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts