Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, i searched the forum, but couldn't find anything. my speed-o has been lost (ala the cable came loose/off) so i looked for loose cables underneath and couldn't find the solution. my speedometer works fine, but my rpms jump while riding steady. (i'm going 60 steady, and the needle from 8k rpm's through 10k and back and forth) it doesn't affect me riding/doesn't make the bike jump, but i was wondering if there's a cable loose or what.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
my bike did this when i hooked up batteryless on a charger/booster. as soon as i removed it and installed the battery, all was fine.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Knightslugger said:
my bike did this when i hooked up batteryless on a charger/booster. as soon as i removed it and installed the battery, all was fine.
i haven't messed with anything battery or other wise lately. it just started doing it all of a sudden. no clue why

·
Registered
440 Posts
The tach is electric I think. You've got an intermittent short on your tach wire or more likely a bad ground from your instrument cluster. Worst case that hall effect pickup is taking a dump but I would check the gound first since that's easiest.

Edit: Not a hall effect pickup that's for ignition advance but likely a coil tap drives the tach. Have not looked at the wiring in some time.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
It's time for you to check your wires :-\

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Frog said:
It's time for you to check your wires :-\
alrighty, i'll check em tomorrow or sunday. as of now, i'm supposed to head upstate to meet up with scooby so he can help me clean my carbs and tune the bike, etc.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Water could've seeped in your electrical wiring. Could've caused shorts or changed the impedance of your wiring.

It all comes down to wiring that could use a better shielding.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I hope it'll be nice, we got snow here last night... :mad:

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ouch, we had rain today and yesterday, i think tomorrow is supposed to be nice. question? where can/should one pick up carb cleaner? stealership, online, normal store, etc.?? or what should i clean my carbs with *i've never done before*

1 - 13 of 13 Posts