Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious at what RPM everyone prefers to shift at, wondering if I'm letting it go higher than everyone else or not.

S

·
0 Posts
Hard take off, or normal driving?

Hard Take off.... 10,000-10,500 rpm's
Normal Driving.... 0-11,000 rpm's

·
Registered
40 Posts
What RPM do I shift at? The appropriate one, most of the time.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
6 to 7 normal
9 to 11 in a hurry

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Outrace said:
What RPM do I shift at? The appropriate one, most of the time.
wondering when someone would be a smartalec and post something like this. I was looking for a collective idea of what numerical value everyone prefers to shift at.

btw normal driving not racing. And damn at 11k rpms, how long would the engine last doing that? I was kinda worried that I might be pushing mine a little to hard shifting around 7k [not really worried as thats the point at which I start hearing the engine want a shift, but new(to me) bike and all I have a want to baby it]

·
Registered
40 Posts
I wasn't being a smartalec. I shift when it's appropriate, not at some magical mythical number that I have to pay attention to.....

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Outrace said:
I wasn't being a smartalec. I shift when it's appropriate, not at some magical mythical number that I have to pay attention to.....

nothing magical or mythical about numbers, but anway..

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Don't keep your eyes on the rpm, they can serve you a lot better if you look where you're going ;)

around 8-9k if in no hurry. or at 6000 rpm if I'm only cruising. or 10 500 under full acceleration

I shift when I feel its good timing, much like Outrace answer, when appropriate.

maat1976 said:
I've been wondering about this.

What are people averaging RPM wise at say 65-70? Am I being dense or is 5-6 normal?

C
that's ok

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know why this turned into an advising topic and not just a simple posting of a number, but a quick glance at the instrument cluster wont hurt, it's right in my peripheral vision anyway.

R

·
0 Posts
I seldom exceed 6K... At that rpm I'm pulling away from allmost all surrounding trafic. If I'm stuck going with the flow of trafic 4500-5000.

Rich

·
Registered
270 Posts
7k is where the engine pulls I tend to shift after that. 8-9 k screwing around 10k

·
Registered
94 Posts
Jason said:
Just curious at what RPM everyone prefers to shift at, wondering if I'm letting it go higher than everyone else or not.
That's the beauty of a motorcycle, it all depends on where I am and what I'm doing and where I'm going.

I shift between 7K and 9.5K in the lower gears, but the higher gears if I waited until then I'd be getting a ticket every week. On a slow day, I have been known to shift at 5K even in lower gears.

I ride for fun. Every time I get on my bike I enjoy the ride, so shifting and what RPM I shift at depend on a lot of factors.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
I don't really pay much attention to my RPMs. i've got 15,500 of them to play inside. ;D I just go by the engine sound. when it hits a familiar tone, i shift. the only numerical one i've ever taken notice of is my cruising RPMs.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I go off the sound of the engine, for RPM/shifting and speed.

its even easier if you put on aftermarket exhaust, as the baffled stock exhaust masks the engine sound a little too much (and makes it sound weak)

·
Registered
199 Posts
wolf66 said:
6 to 7 normal
9 to 11 in a hurry
+1

....unless I'm really tearing it up, and in that case I just wait till glass on windows I pass starts shattering, and then I'll put her in 4th or so :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts