Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 08 500 ex runs so rich on the left cylinder that it fouls the plug after 150 or so miles. It started running on one cylinder last fall so yesterday I changed the plugs and cleaned the carbs. I also reset the float height and found the left float was really high so I figured that was the issue with fouling. It started up easier then it ever has for me when I put it back together. I put 150 miles on it today and it started out fine. Towards the end of my ride it started running rough at idle. I took it back out after it cooled off and it's back to running on one cylinder. I'm out of ideas.
Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
19,298 Posts
You only fix it half way you must be sure the float valve is sealing properly as well as the correct float height

Fog

·
Super Moderator
14,678 Posts
I also reset the float height and found the left float was really high so I figured that was the issue with fouling.
On what method of measurement do you base this on? And please define "really high" in mm.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used this method from a video link I found in these forums. I used a dial caliper to take the measurement. I did not look at how high it was but I believe it was more than the 1mm tolerance. I adjusted it to the 17mm spec
Screenshot_20200530-223355_YouTube.jpg

·
Super Moderator
14,678 Posts
so rich on the left cylinder that it fouls the plug
found the left float was really high
My point is....by lowering the float level from "really high" to 17mm...you've actually RAISED the fuel level in that bowl. Your relation on the effect of float level to fuel level is backwards. Flip the carbs over into working position and rethink it. Also, research the "clear tube" method of fuel level verification. IMHO the 17mm is just a starting point.

I'll agree with the @fog that float valve(s) may not be sealing. Replace them, not expensive at all. They will not last forever, nor are they meant to be. As their viton tips wear and deform...I automatically renew them with every carb refurb I do, and consider them consumables.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts