Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I will try to keep this a succinct as possible. Any help is appreciated.

I have a 2007 Ninja 500.

My bike runs, starts and idles fine (just above 1k RPM), but the engine will randomly hiccup while riding (acceleration and deceleration). Occasionally it will randomly die as a result of these hiccups. It did so today about 5 times on my way home (15 miles). It literally starts right back up after it dies with no problem, but will die after driving a couple of miles.

I took the gas tank off and changed the spark plugs just before this started happening. The previous owner had NGK DR8ES (EX500A plugs) and I switched to NGK DR9EA (EX500D) plugs. I also changed the tires, adjusted the chain tension, checked the brakes, and adjusted the clutch cable tension. I have not done a carb sync or checked valve clearances yet. Nor have I adjusted the idle set screw.

Other than that, I have the lower fairings off because I can't find the screws.

Again, I appreciate any help.

-Ifrit

·
Registered
801 Posts
This seems like a fuel delivery issue. Check for kinked hoses. Does your fuel tank still have orange discs in vent?

·
Super Moderator
14,486 Posts
^ bingo @jorge moros fuel cap vent issue, very common

there are threads here on removing flapper valves (2) from the cap (which in time gum up and stick... culminating in fuel flow problems)

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
If your bike starts right up after dying, then it wouldn't be the cap vent. Although it wouldn't hurt to remove them any way.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bpe yup. Wasn't either of those things. I did removed the little orange rubber thing from the gas cap and checked all the hoses this morning before riding to work. Had the same problem. Decided to properly take off the tank just now after I got home, and noticed that the battery terminals were loose (face palm). Turns out my battery doesn't sit flush in its cubby and had wiggled the battery terminals loose over time. I tightened the terminals and wedged a plastic putty knife in between the back of the battery and the gas tank. Hopefully this fixes the issue.

Thank you all for the suggestions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts