Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
most of the standard "sport bike" bags lay over the passenger seat
are there any that dont? or what do you guys do when the ladie wants to ride with you and you need to carry some stuff too?

i dont think i like the idea of putting the bags over the tank but im not for sure

im looking to get some bags as im tired of using a net to carry my lunch to work
and i almost lost a spindle of cdr's going down teh highway yesterday
yes i remove the net when the wife rides with me but i dont want to have to remove bags

G

·
Get a Givi hard case then, it fits on a rack behindt he passenger seat.

Unless you buy really, really, small saddle bags, I wouldn't expect any would be overly comfortable for a passenger.

I've ridden with saddle bags over my tank, but I wouldn't recommend it for daily driving.

A big tank bag is also an option.

·
Registered
308 Posts
well, there isnt really anywhere else to have saddlebags but over the rear. youd have to get something like a rear rack. as far as carrying somethign back there that....wouldnt hinder a passenger your SOL unless you move it up over your tank.

my suggestion..tank bag.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Top case, rear rack, or tank bag are your best options; but you could also fashion some hard cases with hard mounts that don't cross the saddle area. There is one ex500 on here that's had this done. Probably the most amount of work, and possibly most expensive but most likely what you're looking for.

Personally, I have a Rapid Transit Recon19 magnetic tank bag which is great, and Motopak GTS60 saddlebags which are pretty nice. I plan to pick up a tail rack & case in the near future.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the replies guys

i guess ill just get a tankbag then...
do they get stolen much?

and when i can come up with a good reason, ill get a vfr or sprint st with hard bags

·
Registered
530 Posts
I like the magnetic ones because you can take them with you if you have valuables inside.. the Recon19 bag (that I have) for example has straps to convert it to a backpack while not on the tank. I just clip on a strap, sling it over one shoulder and walk away with all my valuables.

Your only other option for securing valuables on the bike would be locking bags... even soft saddlebags are easy to get into and just as likely to have stuff stolen from. Or you could also buy a proximity alarm. That could just annoy people though, and you'd have to wire it in. For me it was just much more convenient to get the magnetic bag, and pick it up.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
I worry about bags that get left on the bike. Some of the places I park, I worry about the bike being there, much less the bags, when I get back.

I also take passengers from time to time, so I have sort of been reluctant to get bags that might not be good with a pillion. I like Frog's idea of having an extra passenger grab bar and then attaching a bracket for a rear carrier to be mounted on. Then you could remove it easily.

I usually use a magnetic tank bag. It has a shoulder strap, map case, coin pouches, it expands to hold all your tools, clothes, or a twelve pack.
It is an Ocelot and I bought it a number of years back on Chapparall Motorsports.

Here is the link to it, sorry it is SSSSOOOOOOO long:

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Cha...alse&mscssid=007285FA4DA1F046CA82EE437C23AEDC

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the reason i asked was because i was looking for a better way to carry my lunch to work and also a way to go to the store and get a 12 pack.... of coke

·
Registered
308 Posts
then maybe a rear rack would be better. your presenting a problem and wanting a solution thats a bit unreal. there isnt any magical tail pack or saddle bags thats gonna allow a rear passenger, adn there isnt a tank bag thats gonna carry a 12 pack. luggage IS removable. so..maybe get a tail pack AND a tank bag. you can fit little stuff in your tank bag like your lunch, or things when you have to carry a passenger. if you need to carry larger things you obviously wont be carrying a passenger, so put it in a tail pack or saddlebags

i dont mean to come off sound like a jerk, but i think your looking for a magical solution to fit a wide variety of things..and there is just no doing that. again, if you dont feel like buying different types of luggage for different needs, get a givi top case that mounts to a rear rack.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
the great expanding tank bag

ex_dsmr said:
there isnt a tank bag thats gonna carry a 12 pack. You can fit little stuff in your tank bag like your lunch, or things when you have to carry a passenger.
(You have to remove the cardboard to get twelve cans of soda or whatever in my tank bag.) It expands: I have carried clothes, sodas and lunch in addition to tools and maps.
I usually don't need to expand it for every day use, since it isn't a hard case, it expands even when the zipper for that purpose isn't unzipped. People are always amazed when they see how much fits in there, but most sport bike types don't like the way it looks.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ex_dsmr said:
then maybe a rear rack would be better. your presenting a problem and wanting a solution thats a bit unreal. there isnt any magical tail pack or saddle bags thats gonna allow a rear passenger, adn there isnt a tank bag thats gonna carry a 12 pack. luggage IS removable. so..maybe get a tail pack AND a tank bag. you can fit little stuff in your tank bag like your lunch, or things when you have to carry a passenger. if you need to carry larger things you obviously wont be carrying a passenger, so put it in a tail pack or saddlebags

i dont mean to come off sound like a jerk, but i think your looking for a magical solution to fit a wide variety of things..and there is just no doing that. again, if you dont feel like buying different types of luggage for different needs, get a givi top case that mounts to a rear rack.
im thinking the magic solution is a bike with hard sidebags...
like a vfr or a sprint st

either way, i didnt know of the solution so i asked you guys
if there is no solution, that is fine

i havent decided what im going to do yet: tankbag, backpack or tailbag
i very much dislike the way the givi rear rack looks

·
Registered
308 Posts
with the seating and foot peg configuration on the ex i dont see how hard bags are gonna be any different than soft. they might be able to sit comfortably on the seat, but id think theyd have to snake their legs around in a most uncomfortable position in order to rest their feet on the pegs.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Ahhh.. you're looking for a sport rack: http://www.revsperformance.com

They have a bag that matches the rack, which will hold a full face helmet and a bit more.. might be about what you're looking for in terms of size. It also stays completely out of the passengers way. The only down side is the price.. it ain't cheap. Still, I plan on getting it soon to compliment my tank bag.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Here are a few shots of the Renntec Sports Rack mounted. I'm very happy with it. It doesn't stick up as much as the Givi rack and I think it's more versatile.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Why exactly don't saddlebags work over the tank?

Mine do fine and they were like $12 at a horse supply place.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Wolf => Aren't you worried they could melt or flap in the wind ?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
They don't seem to be against anything hot enough as i have used 'em a few times, they have 2 attachment straps that keep then in place, they don't flap but they do ballon some with air when empty...but for $11.75 its hard to beat for the extra storage

http://www.horsetackco.com/heavy-duty-nylon-saddle-bags.html

1 - 20 of 25 Posts