Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Fast Old Guy
20,072 Posts

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Take the bike off the stand and sit on it. This is how the chain runs when you are riding it. Check the slack when you are sitting on it. If the piece is heavily worn, it means the chain has been run loose. Q: Has your bike been looped from a wheelie gone wrong?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lol im ok with being crazy. Ok so its just because its on the center stand. I was just 2nd guessing myself there.

Take the bike off the stand and sit on it. This is how the chain runs when you are riding it. Check the slack when you are sitting on it. If the piece is heavily worn, it means the chain has been run loose. Q: Has your bike been looped from a wheelie gone wrong?
I bought the bike with the fairings in pretty rough shape. Not sure the story on that fairing in the pic. Ive tipped it twice but never crashed thankfully.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
The rust on the frame in the pics is consistent with damage to the rear subframe - often from looping the bike.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've got a fair bit of rust in that spot, but pretty sure the bike has never seen a wheelie in it's life. The paint to the lower left of that gets worn down as well, like you see on the footpeg bracket.

Always good to see i'm not on my own in taking a very liberal approach to the application of wet lube! Could do with a clean though.

·
Moderating: Fair & Just
7,609 Posts
Always good to see i'm not on my own in taking a very liberal approach to the application of wet lube! Could do with a clean though.
You and me both. I would much rather see a dirty wet chain, than a clean dry one. ;)

·
Registered
418 Posts
I replaced the chain slider on mine at 40,000 miles or so, side bar, when I was racing one of these bikes, I looped it on the starting line, fell on my arse and the bike shot out into the grass area like the Evil Kenievel toy of yore. Blame that shite petcock that had me broke down on the warm up lap of the race, got to my grid spot, second wave, flag drops and clutch and throttle and boom, on my arse. My feelings were hurt more than anything. :rolleyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts