Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just copied this from another forum I contribute to. All I can say is. "I told you so"

'I'm a former member of EX500riders, and just found this board I guess I've been living under a rock, but I'm glad I found it.

I had the Sarachu slip-ons for two seasons. I initially praised the quality of the Sarachus, probably because I spent almost $300 on them. Well guess what... they're crap. FOG warned me about this a couple of years ago, but I wouldn't listen. After two seasons and about 17,000 miles they just started falling apart. The biggest problem is that the rivets vibrated loose, and eventually wore large holes in the can. Also the bottom end started to rust badly. I suppose that I could have tried to fix these problems, but I wanted to get out and ride this spring, so I just threw the stock pipes back on, and I found the quiet to be a rather nice change from the adolescent BRRRAAAAP! that the Sarachu's produced. I actually did enjoy making all of that racket... but only for a while.

I preferred the way that the Sarachu's looked compared to stock, and I liked them for their light weight, but the stock cans were built to last for the lifetime of the bike. The stock pipes are staying on from now on. I will remember this when I buy my next bike."

FOG

·
Registered
530 Posts
+1 dragknee

Find me a can that is quiet, light, and looks good; I'll be happy to switch out my Sarachu's. As I'm sure many others out there would be as well. Until that's found however, I'll be enjoying them 'till they rot. Be that tomorrow, two years, or twenty.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I only use sarachus at motorcycle meetings or if I feel like bullying some cops out there.. + at track of course. That was the main cause for me to buy them in the first place. I was quite aware of that they aren't made to last(looked like it :D).

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
While I'm largely with FOG on this subject I'm also of the "to each his own" camp. :) Whatever works for you. Now, if you try selling the performance gains, we'll have something to talk about. That ain't happening in any measurable fashion.

To add to this. I'm old enough that I still think bikes should look like Harley-Davidsons..... but perform like sport bikes. :eek: That's another "ain't happening" but I still like how Harleys look. They're what bikes are "upost" to look like. ;D To me, sport bikes are pretty generic in the appearance category. They're OK but nothing to write home about. That said, I have five "sport" category bikes and no Harleys. 8)

First question, does it work? Second question, is the price right? Third question, How does it look? I tend to evaluate that list in this order: second, first, and then a distant third. ;D

Z

·
0 Posts
dad said:
To me, sport bikes are pretty generic in the appearance category. They're OK but nothing to write home about. That said, I have five "sport" category bikes and no Harleys. 8)
I'm kinda just the opposite. I think ALL the cruisers look the same except some have full fairings and saddle bags and the others don't. And I'm an old guy to! :D

But also, alot of the newer, mid-range sport bikes are starting to look alike as well. Time to go for that BMW K bike I guess...

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I liked the classic bare bike look for decades.
Then saw a Honda Silverwing (500 cc, crosswise V-twin, cylinders by the knees, shaftdrive).
OOOOh that was smooth! Bought one. Took a while to adapt to torque steer!

Never got used to the mass.
But soon I had 2 little kids, so sold it.
No motorcycles.
22 years later ex-500. I like it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts