Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't posted in a while due to school and work. I got my tax's back which equated to the same monetary value as the Sarachu pipes. They came in the mail and I slipped them on :p. The right side went on easy, left side would not slip on all the way. Anybody have a problem with this?

Anyway, I started the bike up and proceeded to grow a large smile. This bike now sounds amazing. They are way louder than stock, but they are NOT Harley loud(volume not sound), like mentioned in another thread, which I found weird. I also do not hear the, "Nest of angry hornets". Does anybody know if Sarachu changed their baffle(I dont know the word) material/configuration/size? When I'm going 60+ i cant really hear the pipes. Like I said, their was a thread stating that these pipes are quite loud, which I know is subjective but still...
I am not complaining by the way, I just seems like my pipes are a whole lot quieter than the descriptions I've read. And I'm quite happy about that actually. I hate my dad's Harley with straight pipes, they are "wake up the whole block" LOUD.

And yes, I adjusted the pilot screws and did the airbox mod and now their is a noticeable difference in acceleration. It's pretty damn fast after you hit 7000 rpm! o yeah!
-Matt

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
Ride your buddy's bike and have him ride yours. follow him and you'll hear what everyone is saying about them being loud. Not sure what you mean about the "Nest of angry hornets" though. they get pretty buzzy up high if that's what you mean. There comes a point in the RPM range that the pipes silence out though, i will agree. however i did, in fact, wake up the whole complex in the morning. i made sure of it. hehe.

best pipes on the planet for the EX500, no doubt.

·
Registered
72 Posts
When I had my EX I Sarachu cans were the best mode I mad to it.
It was loud (i modified internals a bit). I was heard on the road big time. They looked great on this bike....
I am goint to modify my SV existing pipes to make them a bit louder....
Cheers!

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have them on mine... and they sound great.. they sound really really awesome when you hit about 6k and ride it out to about 8.5k.. man they sound sweet...

Listen to the sound.... oh yea baby..haha

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Jkrup47 said:
I have them on mine... and they sound great.. they sound really really awesome when you hit about 6k and ride it out to about 8.5k.. man they sound sweet...

Listen to the sound.... oh yea baby..haha
Why not just buy a Trumpet, or a Flugel Horn, or one of those party kazoos. Too bad those silly mufflers don't have a Earphone plug on them you you wouldn't have to annoy the whole world.

FOG

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jkrup47 said:
they sound really really awesome when you hit about 6k and ride it out to about 8.5k.. man they sound sweet...
That's the point where I cant hear mine. You hear the deepness of the engine up to 5 then from 5.5 on it get buzzy and louder, then if i'm going fast, past 6.5 you cant hear it. I'm not wearing ear plugs either, and I have great hearing(doctor says 100% perfect). And my pipes have a different logo on them, it;s not black but chrome. Like I said before I'm happy they are not that loud, but many people say theirs are, which leads me to believe they changed the pipes or their is something amiss. Do they need "break in time"? I'll post a pic of the new logo in a day or two.

FOG, i'm totally going to thieve my brothers trumpet and stick it in the exhaust pipe, if it;'s cool i'll post an audio file.
-Matt

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
FretlessMetal said:
Like I said before I'm happy they are not that loud, but many people say theirs are, which leads me to believe they changed the pipes or their is something amiss. Do they need "break in time"? I'll post a pic of the new logo in a day or two.
i only say they are loud because others have told me who rode behind me that they were. i was artillery for 4 years on the gun line and do you think i wore hearing protection? well no, of course not. to me they are not that loud but to everyone else riding with me they are quite loud and raspy.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I don't think they are loud either.. I know that when I was going down the highway... that my dad was behind me.. at crusing speed they sounded mellow he said... barely that loud... but when i got on it and stayed that way for a gap of about 300 yards in front of him.. he could hear me just fine he said

·
Registered
530 Posts
Well.. when I first put my Sarachu's on and fired my baby up, I thought I was in trouble. I mean, I was expecting it to be louder... but OMG was it LOUD.

Yesterday I had the opportunity to take her out on the road; and I must say I don't think it was much worse than before. The wind noise is still by far the biggest sound problem I have. Now it's just easier to notice the engine noise. I even had a few friends check me on drive-byes and they said it was noticably different than stock, but not the earth-rattling annoyance of a Harley going by.

It also got me a nod from some of the Squids that hang out around here.. now that I have a bike that sounds better than theirs, I'm no longer "just on a 500" or some such crap.

I'm now of the oppinion that while being a bit louder than I would like, they're not bad enough to persuade me to re-sell them, and just because it's scary in the garage doesn't mean it will be on the road (lots o' reverb).

I do really wanna get rid of the popping though. I mean, it's cool as all get out.. but I can't help thinking it's just going to get me in trouble. Jonny Law just doesn't like me as it is.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
you'll need block off plates (or otherwise) for the Air injection valve and a pilot tune if you want to reduce the amount of popping.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts