Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the Sarachu exhaust and was wondering if there is supposed to be a clamp for the connection to the header pipe? I got the large clamp that bolts to the foot peg but the stock clamp at the header pipe is to big.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
there should be, yes, but for whatever reason Sarachu decided that they wouln't ship one with the pipes... not quite sure wht they were thinking.

instead of putting an ugly muffler clamp on there (a hose clap is not a solution, so don't even bother) i MIG welded the pipe to the headers.

oh, that looked hot as hell. not to worry though. My Sarachu S/O for my CBR will be here next week!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yeah I had the same problem when I got mine, I suggest just getting some muffler clamps, they don't look that bad (see pic below) and you're not screwed if you want to remove them.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Go to your local AutoZone or Pep Boys and pick any standard clamp--they come in different sizes and strength. I did that and it's still doing it's job wonderfully.

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
A pictorial of what going to the Auto Parts Store? Hey Good Idea. On this list we need that.

FOG

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ended up using some 1 1/2 inch muffler clamps from autozone. I painted them black with some high temp exhaust paint. They don't look to bad.

·
Registered
16 Posts
FOG said:
A pictorial of what going to the Auto Parts Store? Hey Good Idea. On this list we need that.

FOG
haha. no, i meant for the whole installation of those pipes (including mentioning the need for additional hose clamps). it's an easy process, but it could be helpful if you haven't done much of this sort of thing. if nobody is interested i wont post it.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
remy-ex said:
FOG said:

FOG
haha. no, i meant for the whole installation of those pipes (including mentioning the need for additional hose clamps). it's an easy process, but it could be helpful if you haven't done much of this sort of thing. if nobody is interested i wont post it.
May as well post it if you've already written it, it'd be good for the How-to section. Nobody in this thread will likely say anything, because the ones who'll need it are the people who couldn't search their way out of a paper sack :D. Be sure to mention things like which side of the passenger peg mount it bolts too, and how to position your muffler clamp to hide the bolt as best you can. Yes, I'm serious. :)

FOG, in his infinite sarcasm, is probably right about the parts store write up, too :p.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Meh :p
If I would want to make noisekillers for sarachus(just a smaller hole and a quite long pipe with some holes in it which forces the exhaust gases to the muffler material --> less noise), would it be able to break something? Like too much backpressure? I know that the stock cans produce quite lot of backpressure, but is this any different :eek:?

This is purely an experiment, but if it's succesfull, I would like to make couple of trips to local racetracks w/ n-killers on, and remove them there.
just.. can it be harmful?

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
By blocking the exhaust you only run the risk of causing your bike to run rich, possibly fouling plugs and making carbon deposits. It won't blow anything up or destroy anything.

As a reference, I had a stock CBR f4 muffler adapted to my KZ's 4-1 header. The thing was pretty quiet, but didn't have any pickup. It would go, just not fast. When I popped it back off to get my performance back I just put the open megaphone (the other end of the extremes), it went way lean and I had to move my jets.

The catch is that the EX can oft times go from a stock exhaust to Sarachus (or about any exhaust) and not need anything more than a pilot adjustment. Personally, I think you could put your extra baffles on, go to the track, pop them back off, and never touch the carbs. Heading to a "local" track likely won't be a big deal with fouling and such.

Did you just buy the Sarachus for the track? I don't understand the reasoning in buying the pipes and just plugging them up. In the amount of time it would take to install and remove the noise killers you could add about 45 seconds and just swap the mufflers before you leave home. Maybe your area is different than mine - I don't think anyone here would care if I ran "loud pipes" once or twice a week when I was going to the track. Heck, I could slip the KZ in and out of the apartment complex I used to live in with nary a complaint. You just have to be ready to drive with the choke on and not touching the throttle any time you can avoid it ;).

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thanks for the info.
I bought sarachus for louder noise and better looks, but it seems that the police don't like them, at least now, when i'm not allowed to ride a 44kw bike. Bike's papers say it's 25kw and that's the limit at this age, but if It has very loud noise with unlegal pipes on(they don't ,of course, have any approvements), the police MIGHT get my bike to a dyno, and that means they'll take my license away for from 2 months to 2 years. plus i'm not allowed to have a car drivers license for one year.
Luckily I'm getting one in couple of weeks and that's not a problem anymore then.

Of course my neighbours don't like bikes with loud noise, but I don't think they care. I'm going to drive with sarachus on, but this 2 weeks with my wnb noisekillers. I also have the racetrack already reserved. I could put the stock pipes on, but I want to go with sarachus <3 ;)

·
Registered
631 Posts
hawk1996 said:
I ended up using some 1 1/2 inch muffler clamps from autozone. I painted them black with some high temp exhaust paint. They don't look to bad.
how long have you used a muffler clamp and any problems?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts