Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well... didnt see it happen, but saw the aftermath.

my buddy picked me up after work so we could go disc golfing. on the way back to my car, the exit was blocked by a cop. so we go past, and lo and behold a shiny chrome harley is sitting in the ditch. the news was there and the state highway patrol, so i figured the dude probably died.

i knew exactly what happened just by looking.

as you come down the freeway, you get in the right lane to exit onto sunbury rd. this whole area is under construction right now, and the exit ramp is kind of a blind turn. it looks like a normal gradual curve exit ramp, but then you get about 100 feet in and it takes a NASTY 90 degree turn to the right.

speed limit is 45 through there, but the first time i came through that turn at 45 in my car, i almost lost it. you have to be going about 25.

this dude was going too fast. didnt know about the curve probably, and ended up losing it.

i said to my friend "i bet he wasnt wearing a helmet" (like i said, it was a harley).

this was about 3 PM

so 11 rolls around and i flip on the news. and sure as sh!t. about 5 minutes in the story comes on.

"a man on a motorcycle is in critical condition tonight after crashing on the city's northeast side. the motorcyclist lost control on the sunbury rd exit on SR 161. according to police he was thrown 40 feet. he was transported to whatever hospital, where he is listed in critical condition. the rider was NOT wearing a helmet."

the ditch he was in is basically next to a parking lot for the construction crews. they just kind of pull up in the grassy area in between the exits. the ditch is full of rocks about the size of basketballs.

WEAR YOUR HELMET PPL!

·
Registered
14 Posts
When I first started riding my Dad pulled a helmet out that he had been wearing in 1973 when he crashed his kawasaki Mach I on a long road trip. There was a hole worn through the back of the helmet about three inches across and almost down through the foam padding inside. I've never ridden without a helmet and encourage all my friends to do so as well. I know a helmet probably saved my life at least once, I'm not a fan of helmet laws bu I won't ride with anyone that refuses to wear one.

·
Registered
417 Posts
that is real, the only reason I don't were a helmet is like if I have my bike in the next parking spot, an I want to move it closer, I do not feel like putting it back on just to move it 10 feet.

·
Registered
348 Posts
And then there's the people who ride with their helmet strapped to the seat behind 'em. FOR THEIR SAKE, I really wish they'd just put it on. Some of the guys I've ridden with do that, and it only bugs me cuz I don't want to have to see a news report like the one above and have the words "critical condition" or "dead" be a part of the headline.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My dad use to work with a guy (20 years ago) had just washed his goldwing and drove it down the driveway to turn it around too put it back in the grage, went wide on the trun hit the wet grass and lost it, slid down in to the ditch and hit his head on a road and killed himself. My bike doesnot even start until my brain bucket is on.

I still find it hard to beleive that helmet are not law in alot of US states. Don't try and ride north of the 49th with out your skid-lid

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah i hate seeing that helmet locked up on the back of the bike. what idiots. they payed $whatever to buy it, the least you can do is wear it. but more often than not, those are the same guys in a tank top and shorts...

i dont think it should be a law though, just like seatbelts. the only function of the law is to CREATE REVENUE for the municipality that issues the ticket. i think that as an individual in a free society such as this, if you choose to not wear a helmet, then thats your prerogative. if you want to crack your head open on the tarmac, then go ahead...

wearing a helmet doesnt protect anyone but the rider, so its not about "public safety".

like the AMA says: helmet laws are a manifestation of the misguided belief that citizens lack the wisdom to make personal safety decisions for themselves and must therefore be subjected to increasingly intrusive laws.

that being said, i always wear one. and i always wear my seatbelt. not because its the law, but because i dont want to fly through the windshield or bounce my bare skull off the curb.

not wearing a helmet/seatbelt = darwinism at work.

·
Registered
417 Posts
ya like I said the only reason I don't were a helmet it when I am just parking my bike, but now that I think about it. I can let my clutch out to fast o some thing, an I could be paying for it. man this subjet got me thinking, I am now using my helmet even if I am only parking my bike. thanks to all of you. :D

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have to agree, any imbecile who doesn't where a helmet is really just asking to get themselves killed. That said, I agree with dragknee, the government shouldn't have to enforce things that should be common sense.
And the people with the helmet strapped to back... it could almost be funny if it weren't so sad. :mad:

·
Registered
417 Posts
MrMatson said:
I have to agree, any imbecile who doesn't where a helmet is really just asking to get themselves killed. That said, I agree with dragknee, the government shouldn't have to enforce things that should be common sense.
And the people with the helmet strapped to back... it could almost be funny if it weren't so sad. :mad:

So true!!!!

R

·
0 Posts
dragknee said:
i think that as an individual in a free society such as this, if you choose to not wear a helmet, then thats your prerogative. if you want to crack your head open on the tarmac, then go ahead...
wearing a helmet doesnt protect anyone but the rider, so its not about "public safety".
Unfortunately, in the US at least, it becomes an economic issue. Individuals are free to crack their heads open on the tarmac, then the rest of us have to pay for perpetual care of the nearly brain dead. Unfortunate for everybody...

Rich

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Twas written- "like the AMA says: "helmet laws are a manifestation of the misguided belief that citizens lack the wisdom to make personal safety decisions for themselves and must therefore be subjected to increasingly intrusive laws."

That is not a misguided belief... many citizens are struggling w/ decisions involving wisdom: extended credit card debt, single parenthood, drug abuse, multi-tasking while driving, parent-as-friend...

Heck, look how most commercials appeal to emotion vs. practical value (or such).

Helmet laws are no different from seat-belt laws: the evidence backing the effectiveness is undeniable to the wise. Riders who won't wear their helmets DO cost the taxpayers $$, do cause the rest of us to pay higher insurance rates to cover their expenses... and can leave their kids w/o a parent.

Freaking selfish to not wear one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The helmet and seat belt laws... I agree in a sense that people should be free to be safe or not - BUT my car and bike insurance rates (and health insurance) depend in part on those morons who don't wear a helmet or seat belt. You get in a minor spill on your bike with a helmet, and crack the lid - you are ok - and insurance pays for just a few repairs/new helmet, maybe a minor hospital visit. You get in that same accident and get a traumatic brain injury - maybe insurance ends up paying out $100,000+ in liability, medical payments, etc. And hopefully you didnt cause any fender benders for the cages behind you and they werent wearing seat belts.... I also would prefer not to be traumatized if I happened to be the first on the scene of an accident where someone's head is only half of what it should be.

So yes, personal choice is a big issue, but often people overlook the fact that they are indeed part of a larger society - and their stupidity can kill them - and kill my wallet.

- Chris
2006 EX500 - Red

·
Registered
59 Posts
I crashed my first bike coming off the main highway. Inexperienced and slidding on gravel sent me into the ditch. My bike was trashed, my helmet and my leathers were the ones that saved the day.

I see a lot of riders wearing the scull caps, and think Wow the scull cap might get a few scratches on it but your face is going to look like Swiss cheese. :p

·
Registered
261 Posts
dweese said:
My bike doesnot even start until my brain bucket is on.
A good habit. The MSF course even teaches not to even sit on the bike until you're in full gear.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
^ And I fully agree ;D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts