Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....for me in 6 years of SE CCS was Lt Wt Superbike in the wet at Daytona Speedway, not a wet friendly track at all with lots of wall around the outside and lots of high speed on the banks and no raintires...I was gridded 2nd row for a 80 bike start but some (the smart ones) wimped out and in the pic on the grid you can see me and Tod Keese #20 looking back to see how many didn't show.That's Sam Flemming on the Team Army of Darkness #20. My bike wasn't all the way built yet, had a 600cc big bore kit, it was after blowing the lower motor in this race that we rebuillt it to 650cc with lots of Falicon crank and rod work and cut off the tail.
And yes we look slow, its WET!!

Movie of race on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NklKrcqDKaQ

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For scary starts I have this one:

me, Am#500 on the far right, I am gridded behind my good buddy David Rowden, #489 on the Honda 500.
The flag goes down and his bike stalls, instead of putting his hand up like he should he goes to jump off and push start (idiot) I was WOT and went for a iffy pass on the left in the 3 foot space between his bike and the wall...when he jumped off it went down to 2 feet or less and i just squeaked by with inches to spare on either side. 2nd wave behind us is vintage i think.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
....and here's a rare view of the Daytona track..... ;D ain't that about the biggest curve you ever seen? :eek:
I was tring to show how steep it is but its hard to shoot

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Race #2 :
here's Dec 1992 Lt Wt Superbike Moroso. (+ a second wave of Hvy Wt Twins or Harleys)
Was my 1st year as a expert.
I had just put on the GSXR-750 front end and it was not dialed at all. My brother beats me, AM#93 on a FZR400 but I come in 2nd Expert with one crash ahead and took 2nd at the line. I think the green bike that crashed was a 750 triple two stroke.
I put a track map in with the old layout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz-DUsGsGK0&mode=user&search=

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Race #3
Moroso July 11, 1993 Sportsman + Vintage 2nd wave.

Track was semi-wet, puddles around the inside of turns, a RZ350 guy who was super fast in the wey spanks us all.
I do so/so till I almost lost it down in T-2 and go pretty slow after that. I hate a half dry track more then a wet one.

When ever I picture my self racing there's never any water in the scene.... ::)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiEz7N7mySE

·
Registered
19,368 Posts
My scarest race was one that I set my personel best lap. At that time it was within 1/2 sec of the lap record for the bike. Every turn I had the bike sliding ,front and rear. The line seemed to be only inches wide. and I had to aim at the curbs (Louden) and trust the front to push out to the apex. Scarred the $hit out of myself at every turn for 8 laps. Finished second.
Since then (2000) the lap record has fallen 4 seconds, by an Alien named Jeff Wood.

FOG

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
My scariest start was at Mosport Vintage Fest in 2001 or 2002. I was gridded in the third row, not a bad postition in a 45 bike field. Get up to the grid feeling quite full of myself, only to find I am gridded right in front of Yvon Duhamel on Team Obsolete CB450. HMMM I wonder what a CB450 enema feels like? Gonna find out soon!!
What SHOULD have been my scariest race BUT wasn't:
This year I rode a buddy's Norton Commando in the vintage classes. Right hand shift 4 speed transmission, 823cc friggin' FREIGHT TRAIN. The thing is a HANDFUL. You really have to wrestle the thing into corners... I really like riding it.
So in the heat race I am trying to get this guy on a H2 Kawi. Almost 2 laps right on his rear wheel, just couldn't get by him. I could motor him on the long straight, but he would get me back through 9 and 10. I have to do something. So in a fit of pure STUPID I hit 4th gear as soon as I cleared corner 3. Got the bike heeled over almost as far as it will, me hanging off like Randy Mamola and power shift the thing. I motored the guy down the short straight, through 4 and into the right hand hair pin. I finished 4th. Yahooooo, start on the second row of the final.
When I got back to the pits it was noticed that the bike had puked at least a litre and a half of oil down the right side of the bike, coating the right side of the tire. At Mosport turn 8 is at the end of the Mario Andretti straight. The straight has a bit of a kink with a rise two thirds down the straight. Your bike lightens up over the kink and will usually do the wugga-wugga thing after the rise. As soon as you get hold of the bike again, you are entering turn 8. Turn 8 at Mosport, if you want to be fast, you sit up at terminal velocity and throw it into a 90 degree right hander. Me with all the traction afforded by a tire coated in Valvoline 20/50VR racing oil (Good Stuff).
One of those "OH ****" moments.
The first time I rode this bike, the transmission output shaft ripped itself out of the case just as I crested this rise, dumped a couple of litres of gearlube on the rear tire... I ended up in the parking lot. I think that was 1987.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts