Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so everyone with a G1 bike, think carbs.

So in the back end, there's the tube that goes between the bowls, has the "T" port, connects to the gas tank.

Up front, there's a vacuum port on either intake. 1 goes to the petcock, 1 goes to the PCV assembely.

In the middle is another line between the carbs with a "T" port. Looks like the fuel one, higher up, about center between the diaphrams.

2 questions:

1: What is this for? I can't find anything in the manual or a hose or anything to connect to it.

2: WHY THE HELL IS IT POURING GASOLINE OUT OF IT ALL OVER MY BLOCK?!?!?!??!

Yeah. 68 miles/gallon? Kewl. 68 miles/TANK?!?! not so good. Possibility of flames/explosion from the puddle of gasoline on my block? Umm.. NO!

On top of this, I can't keep it running at idle. When I let go of the handle, it dies. I turned the idle screw up half a turn, no help. The engine is running rich and blowing white smoke out of the right exaust heavily, and lighter white smoke from left exaust.

I checked the vacuum line to the petcock hoping that maybe the check valve got stuck and was sucking through the vacuum running rich, no good. I'm stumped. I've got it back in the shop right now hoping my bike guy can figure it out. Any advice I can forward to him? The carbs are fresh rebuilds, clean as a whistle, screws backed out 1.5-ish turns.

Ideas? No, I'm not riding the bike with the fuel dripping, not THAT dumb. :)

Help?

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
alex182 said:
I turned the idle screw up half a turn, no help.
Are we talking about a screw here or a black knob ?

The idle 'screw' is sticking out between the carbs, pointing towards the back and maybe 30 degrees downward if I recall right.

If it was a screw.. well it was probably the sync screw you touched :-\

Hum, did you return the bike to the same person who 'cleaned and synched' your carbs before ?

For the best of help with your situation, check this post :)
http://www.ex-500.com/index.php/topic,2048.0.html

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Frog said:
Are we talking about a screw here or a black knob ?

The idle 'screw' is sticking out between the carbs, pointing towards the back and maybe 30 degrees downward if I recall right.

Hum, did you return the bike to the same person who 'cleaned and synched' your carbs before ?
I turned the black knob to bring it up. It sits at about 1500 now, when it decides to idle. The guy I have it at now is helping undo the "fixing" my dad did when I first got it. It's taken him a few days now to undo all the ****-ups my dad did when he cleaned it. I trust my guy, he's been riding and working on bikes for over 2 decades now.

·
Registered
19,363 Posts
You have two problems, your petcock has failed to shut off (common) and somthing has jammed a float valve open in one or both carbs.
Possabably a in correct assembly of a piece of debries from the tank in the valve.

FOG

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
alex182 said:
In the middle is another line between the carbs with a "T" port. Looks like the fuel one, higher up, about center between the diaphrams.

2 questions:

1: What is this for? I can't find anything in the manual or a hose or anything to connect to it.

#1: its the overflow for the carbs.

#2: see #1

:)

fog's diagnosis is probably correct.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
also, depending on whats bad in the floats, you could be screwed and have to get new carbs :(

if the needle is bad, or its just jammed open, then you can replace that...

but on my carbs, the seat itself was bad, and for some reason kawasaki thought it would be a good idea to press the seat into the carb body, and not make it screw out like almost every other carb ive ever worked on ::)

Z

·
0 Posts
Like everyone here says... install a fuel filter while your'e there.

I just changed the fuel filter on my other bike for the first time (about 16,000 miles on her now) and I was suprised to see the small rubber chips it caught - only about 4 or 5 but better in the filter than in the carbs. Probably from pushing the fuel hose onto the the petcock hose barb after reinstalling the tank after maintenance. It would only take one bit of rubber to hold the float valve open though.

·
Registered
19,363 Posts
ZEDhead said:
Like everyone here says... install a fuel filter while your'e there.

I just changed the fuel filter on my other bike for the first time (about 16,000 miles on her now) and I was suprised to see the small rubber chips it caught - only about 4 or 5 but better in the filter than in the carbs. Probably from pushing the fuel hose onto the the petcock hose barb after reinstalling the tank after maintenance. It would only take one bit of rubber to hold the float valve open though.
Bingo! Almost everyone does that, the petcock nipple is sharp as a scalpel. I have found that problem on bikes maintained by expert race Mechanics.

FOG

·
Registered
417 Posts
dragknee said:
alex182 said:

2 questions:

#1: its the overflow for the carbs.

#2: see #1

:)

fog's diagnosis is probably correct.

tighten your overflow.

·
Registered
19,363 Posts
Shorty don't know either.

FOG

·
Registered
417 Posts
on my carbs, there is a 8mm nut that can loosen them up. I had to do it to blow them out when it was all cloged, when my floats were stuck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts