Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Thursday I seemed to have done many wrong things. Took an unknown corner a little too fast, and out ran my ability as a rider. Ended up low siding on the left side of the bike, the bike ended up headbutting the guard rail and I slid down the road a ways. Speed was between 35-40mph. Bent the right handlebar, fractured the Right Outer Fork Pipe front fender attachment point, bent the foot brake lever, with no exterior engine damage, and of course mangled the front fender and fairing.

I'm ever so happy to have the parts bike, but I need to do some plastic work on one of the two and we'll see how it comes out. I'll try and get pictures later on.

More added to the winter project.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Been there, done that, never fun. Had to ride home an hour with only slightly less damage before. Like you, I was glad to have spare parts and wasn't down for long. Definitely keep us posted on your repair process, and of course the part which really matters is you walked away that much wiser from the experience.

·
Registered
412 Posts
The important thing is that you are OK. Bikes can always be repaired/replaced.

Sounds like you understand what happened and what went wrong. All good things to know, so that you can add to your experience and avoid repeating the same mistakes.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Davenay67 Agreed, I was sore in most of my arms and legs until today, still some pain in the left shoulder with certain ranges. I was pretty focused on what went wrong as it happened which is probably for the best. Overall, walked away (y)

@Saabnut Definitely not fun, but great learning experience. I was planning to limp it home until I realized the front tire was stuck due to the fender. After removing the fender there was no way to ensure the tire would stay true, so my father came and picked me and the bike up in his truck. Toolkit was used... still not able to limp it home.

·
Super Moderator
6,150 Posts
Glad to hear you didn't get too badly hurt.

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about that but glad to hear you came through it relatively unscathed. It's also good to see it hasn't dampened your passion for riding. You've reflected on it, learned from it, and are looking forward to getting it fixed and getting back at it. That's the best anyone can do in this circumstance .

·
Registered
19 Posts
Glad to hear that your are okay, but that is a rough way to get winter projects!

Kind of makes our gear thread from last week eerily prophetic... +1 on ATGATT

·
Super Moderator
14,971 Posts
1st and foremost, good to hear you are ok. Hitting pavement at 35-40 can certainly be devastating. You are certainly fortunate to walk away apparently unscathed. Learn from this occurrence......on roads "new to you" always ride well within conservative limits, always prepped in expecting an unknown. The bike secondary, a repair/replace path always exists.

·
Registered
2003 Kawasaki Ninja 500r
93 Posts
Glad to know you're doing well - physically and mentally.

Also, that's great you already have a parts bike, but if you want to go a different route and have $900 lying around - I just saw a 2009 Ninja, all original with 3,800 miles, for sale on FB marketplace. It's about 2 hours from you in West Townsend, MA.

EDIT: Looks like it was sold by the end of the day

·
Registered
17 Posts
Glad to know you're doing well - physically and mentally.

Also, that's great you already have a parts bike, but if you want to go a different route and have $900 lying around - I just saw a 2009 Ninja, all original with 3,800 miles, for sale on FB marketplace. It's about 2 hours from you in West Townsend, MA.
Needs blinkers all around, tires, battery, and carb/fuel work at a minimum. Rear fender delete is questionable.

I actually messaged the guy a week ago - he was originally firm on 1200. Clearly gave way there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts