Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am totally new to riding and I have a fairly basic question:

How do you shave the seat? Is this something you generally go to a shop for or are they bought cut down already?

Please excuse my ignorance. My boyfriend usually answers all my basic questions but he's away moto-ing in Chile.

THanks!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had my done at an auto upholstery shop. Costed $70. I think you can do it yourself if you have a kitchen electric knife and a staple gun. Just shave a bit at a time. When satisfied, staple the cover back on to the seat frame.

·
Registered
301 Posts
The seat is already uncomfortable. To shave it down I would imagine would only make it worse.

I'd recommend sending it to Sargent where they will put in their super cell foam. They could also make it lower if you want it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would have to agree- if you want to shave your seat because the bike is too high, then check into dogbone solutions to lower the rear of the bike. Be advised this will change the handling a lot, so don't go crazy with it.

Since the foam on the seat pan is minimal at best, and over the years this gets compressed and fails, I would probably first go with stock foam height. It might make a big difference, or even get it done by a local shop with a better cushion. Corbin is also an option. I know my seat is a rock and will definitely need a recovering. I have a spare seat pan that I may try doing my own work on- I can't ruin it. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I cut down a seat for my GF to ride my EX. Bought a spare seat on eBay. I took off the cover and completely removed the foam from the rider section. Two layers of camping bed roll (blue) foam were spray glues into place and the cover restapled down. Seat is way lower, firm but surprisingly comfortable. Wouldnt cross country on it, but several hours is not a problem. And it all cost around $20

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Cheers for hay-wiring a successful fix!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts