Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im debating if i should get a smoked shield for my ac-11 or just always keep a pair of sunglasses handy. the shield is easy to pop of and replace but dont want to spend $30 on a new shield were i might get screwed if i stay at school to late and end up driving with my shield up. the shield does look cooler though especially on my helmet(livewire).what do u guys use? is there places were i can get a shield for less than $20, checked ebay and newenough. i dont lack money just dont like spending it ;D

G

·
I bought a tinted shield for my FG12 this year, and kinda regret it now. I love the fact I don't need to carry sunglasses, but unfortunately, I broke one of the clips changing the visor twice a day. Only took two weeks for it to break too. So now, I'm stuck with the tinted visor, and need to wear clear glasses to ride at night. Which isn't too bad, but not too nice either.

My vote is with sunglasses.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I use sunglasses w/ a clear shield. Mainly becuase I already had a pair before I started riding and they are cheaper. Since I've started I've gone through 2 pairs, 1 pair fell out of my pocket onto a showroom floor and snapped the fram above the lens I was sad because I had had them for about 7 years ; ; , the second pair got destroyed in my accident i dont know how though since they were in my helmet, wasnt too mad I hated them.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I prefer the shield - when it's on, it's just a clear view without any sharp contrasts between dark and light. Plus, I like the mirror hiding my face.

It is a little annoying switching out, but not too hard on the RF1000.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Sunglasses

They fit in a pocket, not the shield ;)

·
Registered
3,881 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
those things look like they will grab onto lint and what not. anyhow i might as well just use my oakleys. sun doesnt seem to bother me until sun-rise/set. but not to fond of getting that extra tan on my face. my dad been riding for a while and he has a tan like the shape of the helmet and an imprint of his sunglasses.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Shield: More comfortable than glasses under a helmet. I used to carry a clear shield in my JR Pheonix 4.0 jacket which had a really nice pocket for a visor, now that I no longer use that jacket, I carry it in my tank bag.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I vote against sunglasses. They get uncomfortable after a while, and I've found they cut down on peripheral vision. When checking blind spots, I have to move my head a lot farther than without (maybe it's just my pair..)

I may have, in fact, misplaced my clear visor. I've ridden with the tinted visor in the dark and even in the rain. Your eyes adjust to the lower light level and it's actually not that much darker.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Sunglasses for me. I'd rather not get caught out at night with the wrong shield on my helmet. :eek:
Sunglasses are the easiest to put on, take off and stow away.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
I use sunglasses under my dark shield on my Arai. I have a clear shield for night.
I find that if you use a clear shield all the time it gets scratched up alot faster.
Also the sun is so bright that sunglasses help with the glare, even more.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
know were to get smoked shield for ac-11 under $20. do they have shields that are polarized(doesnt make everything around you dark but takes most of the glare), if not that would be a plus for the glasses

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
captb said:
know were to get smoked shield for ac-11 under $20. do they have shields that are polarized(doesnt make everything around you dark but takes most of the glare), if not that would be a plus for the glasses
Polarized glasse can be hazardous if you're riding on wet & puddled roads. Since they get rid of surface water reflections, at certain angles anyway, a rider could fail to recognize the depth or "wetness" of a section of road.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Both have options have drawbacks. I have been using sunglasses until my Fiance broke them, so now I ride without any protection from the sunlight and can I tell you it SUCKS! I will most likly buy another pair of sunglasses since I can use them both on and off my bike, but it would be nice to have a darker sheild. My commute to and from work is right when the sun is in your eyes the most.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
if polarized is not good for riders then i have a dilemma, only glasses i buy are polarized. New pair of glasses or shield?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I like sunglasses for the simple reason that I like iding with my sheild open in the city and this way the glasses still hlep to keep dust and bugs outta my eyes. Although one of these days I'll get a tinted shield for my lid. I've ridden around with my wife's lid and tinted visor and it was not too bad, but i missed the open visor.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Nolan 102

Comes complete with a flip down sun visor. Detachable without tools. The sun can play hide and seek and it just doesn't matter.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Shield
Looks better
Don't lose any vision
IMO it stays cleaner than the clear (doesn't make any sense--i know)
I drive into the California sun both directions everyday and can't do without my shield...

And getting "caught" at night with a tinted shield really isn't all that bad.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts