Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some new gear showed up the other day so I thought I would write a review of the new pair of Shift Racing Torque Jeans that I took for long ride tonight for the first time. Motorcycle Superstore has the description here: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item.aspx?style=28049&department=113&division=1

As you read this review, keep in mind that I'm a 26 year old, not particularly fashionable or trendy, occasional rider (3-5 times per week) who needs average protection for semi-aggressive commuter riding which could involve lowsides, booting the door of a car performing a blind merge (Road Rash style), and occasional trips to the bar. If you're an old fart looking for some sturdier 501's that you can tuck your turtleneck into, you can stop reading now, these pants aren't for you. That should help put things into context.

Fit: As I guessed, the jeans fit slightly on the loose side. I wear either a 34 or 36 waist in most pants and I opted for the 34 in this case. The fit is comfortable with plenty of room in the legs (read: baggy). I'm a 32 inseam and these are a tad long. It actually works out perfectly when sitting on the bike because the pants don't feel as if they're riding up my legs, exposing my dorky argyle socks. The knee bend when riding pull the cuff just above my ankle. No problems fitting these over touring-style riding boots. I tried them on before and after washing and the fit is the same, so there shouldn't be any problems with shrinking.

Construction: The denim feels pretty heavy and I'd imagine they would hold up better than my Levis did in a 40mph lowside. The leather bits sewn onto the seams, pockets, knees, cuffs, etc. seem sturdy and look pretty cool. The knees have a double layer of material which is reinforced by Kevlar according to the manufacturer. The knee area feels slightly heavier than the rest of the pants, but not cumbersome. The rear pockets are deep and my wallet (which normally would go in my jacket zipper pocket) stayed firmly planted to my ass. There's a strange little lighter-sized pocket on the inside of the left knee. I'm not exactly sure what it's for but you could probably fit a small cellphone in there and you'd be able to feel a call if you're phone is set to vibrate. I routinely check my voicemails and send text messages while riding wheelies through school zones, so this feature could come in handy. These are BUTTON FLY jeans and the button holes are TIGHT. I worked them in a bit with a razor blade to loosen them up a bit. Belt loops are large, thick and sturdy, allowing plenty of room for big belts.

The best feature of the pants is the crotch area (which I have dubbed CrotchCooler(TM)). It's made up of a black cloth material (similar to a knit hat) that is very flexible and allows crazy airflow. The first thing I noticed on my ride tonight is that the boys were blasted with fresh air at speeds above 30mph. Plus, since it's flexible, there's some adjustment range for longer rides, a welcome variation from the rigid jean-crotch which can be a little restrictive. Plus, I think the ladies will appreciate this feature on long rides when they get bored and need something to play with.

Appearance: True to the picture, these jeans have nearly identical "simulated tear" marks as the pictures. They're actually just streaks of bleach in the blue coloring that will probably blend in more over time and multiple washings. There are fashionable bits of coloring in the knees and upper thigh area which give the pants a used appearance. And, there are some zig-zagged seam stitches just below the right front pocket that give these jeans the already-been-repaired look. You could get away with wearing these out in public, even if your bike isn't around, assuming you're under 30 years old.

Overall: I give these pants my seal of approval. Great for street riding with a jean style and added protection. I'm looking forward to many happy, safe miles with this new pair of pants.

I also purchased a pair of the black canvas Icon Hooligan pants. I'll post a review after a few more miles in the saddle.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
At first I was a little peeved at the comment: "old fart" looking for 501's w/ turtlenecks.
But I kept reading...

Then the humor started popping out (text-messaging while riding wheelies through school zones) & had fun reading it all. Though for a guy who says he isn't "fashionable or trendy" you sure toss around style-judgements. 8) (A few of my students tease me for wearing black socks w/ black sandles.)

In 4 years will you donate the pants to the Disabled Veterans?
Because they'll be too stylish for you when you hit 30. ;)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Good write up, but I just can't see dropping $100 on a pair of jeans. :eek: If I bought them I would work in them and my work clothes don't last too long.

MrSciTrek said:
(A few of my students tease me for wearing black socks w/ black sandles.)
Meh, what's wrong with that? I do it and I'm young and should know better, but why should I conform to other people's idea of style? ;)

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
damarble said:
MrSciTrek said:
(A few of my students tease me for wearing black socks w/ black sandles.)
Meh, what's wrong with that? I do it and I'm young and should know better, but why should I conform to other people's idea of style? ;)
Oh... I feed it back at them. Give them counterpoints about being slaves to fashion, or that they feed the $$ to the fashion industry for every new trend that comes along, I have right to dress comfortably and appropriately for the job (8th grade teacher). SHoot, they NEVER even noticed when I wore black sports socks with my $4 black Wal-Mart water-socks (fabric mocassin-like beach shoes). It's fun to tease them that I'm wearing shirts and shoes that are older than they are.

So it's all done in humor & I try to end it that fashion is art. Everyone has a right to like the art they like & we don't have to agree. Oblah dee oblah dah life goes on. :)

·
Registered
577 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
If they are actually better than leather, they might be worth it, even if just for riding. That's hard claim to swallow though.

·
Registered
267 Posts
http://www.ironpony.com/ironponydir...tive Gear/Class3/Armor/Class1/STREET PRODUCTS

I've got those for under my jeans in the winter and so I can wear shorts in the summer. They feel like they offer good protection against abrasion and impact.
**** of a lot cheaper than 300 bucks. And granted, when you're wearing shorts, you kinda look like Allen Iverson while riding and a retard when you're off the bike (if you don't feel like carrying them around), but I still think it's better looking than all of the riding jeans I've seen. You can remedy that by using a helmet bag to carry your helmet, gloves, and these when off of the bike.
Also, the one problem I see with riding jeans/pants is that I ride every day-- I don't want to wear the same clothes every day.

·
Registered
261 Posts
How do those fasten? Velcro around the back?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yeah, around the top of the knee it's just a Velcro strap, but around the shins, it's three Velcro straps that pass through a loop and are doubled back--They don't slide around too much but they occasionally fall down a bit-- I'm a skinny, weakly scientist, so for any of you normal people with regular sized calf muscles, you'll be okay.

R

·
0 Posts
Check hese out, http://www.dragginjeans.com/Classic.htm
These are the same price, very comfortable, and most people wouldn't even know they are other than normal every day jeans. I comute every day and just wear them back and forth to work. These will give you that same acid washed look after about 30 washings, but after 60 or 70 washings the denim is about worn out.

Rich

·
Registered
109 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
D1g1TaL Gh0sT said:
Lochlyn Deckard said:
damarble said:
Good write up, but I just can't see dropping $100 on a pair of jeans. :eek: If I bought them I would work in them and my work clothes don't last too long...
Better not drop $300.00 more :)o) on these then:

www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-jeans/e-squad-jeans

www.esquad-jeans.com
That HAS to be a misprint. I can have a custom pair, of naked skin leather jeans made for about that same amount.

Nope. ;D

http://store.proitalia.com/98292809x.html

·
Registered
109 Posts
If anyone buys those jeans, it's a clear case of having too much money.

"Alex....I'll take the catagory 'Costly fashion statements, that will burn right through my a$$.' for five hundred please..."

·
Registered
179 Posts
fidopunk said:
http://www.ironpony.com/ironponydir...tive Gear/Class3/Armor/Class1/STREET PRODUCTS

I've got those for under my jeans in the winter and so I can wear shorts in the summer. They feel like they offer good protection against abrasion and impact.
**** of a lot cheaper than 300 bucks. And granted, when you're wearing shorts, you kinda look like Allen Iverson while riding and a retard when you're off the bike (if you don't feel like carrying them around), but I still think it's better looking than all of the riding jeans I've seen. You can remedy that by using a helmet bag to carry your helmet, gloves, and these when off of the bike.
Also, the one problem I see with riding jeans/pants is that I ride every day-- I don't want to wear the same clothes every day.
I wear the Apinestars Knee/Shin Guards under my jeans $24.00...A little bulky in the knees though. I wanted the Icon version but couldn't find them at the local Cycle Gear. They can be a little warm too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts