Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what size screw this is? It's the one that holds the shifter in place. The one that's circled. It's for a '88 EX500.

·
Registered
19,756 Posts
That's not a standard screw, but a special part. Must buy from Supplier like the one you found, or Ron Ayers.

FOG

·
Registered
537 Posts
Ron Ayers is a parts supplier with a web presence.

Good place to get parts if you dont know what you want cause you can browse the parts diagrams. Shipping is a little slow though.

http://www.ronayers.com/

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I checked around all the local dealerships today and no one had it in stock so I gotta wait 5-7 days for the part to come in.

·
Registered
19,756 Posts
This bolt. Or at least the thread part, is one of the few places to use a threadlocker, like loc tite.

FOG

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll try that loc tite when I get the part. It should be sold at auto zone or somewhere like that.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
yes Loctite can be found in most hardware stores and auto parts places

·
Registered
139 Posts
FYI, I just had my shift lever pivot bolt break on me. It broke 35 miles from home. I was at my son's house and he happened to have a rear stand. We put the bike on the stand, started it in neutral,he sat on the bike and clutched it while I used a pair of water pump pliers to shift it into 3rd. We shut the bike off and took it off of the stand. He push started me and I was able to drive home at 45-50mph. I had a few lights and stop signs but the bike was able to start in 3rd alright. Not something I would want to do very much as it can be hard on the clutch. When I got home I took the broken part out with an easy out and cleaned up the threads in the frame. I then took the large end of the broken bolt and put a 1/2 inch washer on it and then put that through the table on the small drill press I have. The drill press is set up to drill exactly perpendicular to the table. I held the bolt from spinning with a pair of vise grips and drilled a small pilot hole through the bolt. It centered naturally as the inner part of the star hole was dished. I then ran the proper drill bit through to accommodate the proper bolt. I dug through my bolt bucket until I found the right size and bolted the new assembly onto the bike. I was thinking that I would want to replace it with the proper bolt but have been thinking that the way I made it now is much more serviceable.I originally was thinking the bike would be down for the most part of a week to find a replacement but now it's good to go, and it shifts much better now. It was obviously an increasing problem. An interesting observation, The bolt drilled very easy,not what I would expect if it were a hardened bolt. This could be a repeating problem because of the softness of the steel. I replaced it with a #5 hardness and feel much better about the strength.

Attachments

·
Registered
1995 Ninja EX500
8 Posts
Does anyone know if this bolt has a torque spec? I just got a ex500 and it was dropped and the bolt snapped. I got a new replacement bolt, but before I install it with loctite, I was curious if there is a torque spec. I know if I torque it too much the pedal wont move smoothly, but I don't want it to be too loose either.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I do not see a torque spec in the Clymer's manual. Maybe the service manual has one but from the one time I took it apart and reinstalled it you should be able to get it on tight without any restriction in movement of the shifter.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Does anyone know if this bolt has a torque spec? I just got a ex500 and it was dropped and the bolt snapped. I got a new replacement bolt, but before I install it with loctite, I was curious if there is a torque spec. I know if I torque it too much the pedal wont move smoothly, but I don't want it to be too loose either.
no, on all counts. there is no specific torque for it "just tight". if it makes the shifter tight then it is assembled incorrectly it is supposed to have a collar that is a fit for the lever no washers required. it doesn't need any thread lock either.
think how your going remove it if you need to.

·
Registered
1995 Ninja EX500
8 Posts
no, on all counts. there is no specific torque for it "just tight". if it makes the shifter tight then it is assembled incorrectly it is supposed to have a collar that is a fit for the lever no washers required. it doesn't need any thread lock either.
think how your going remove it if you need to.
Well according to the diagram, there are 2 washers that are needed and I have. And there are different kinds of loctite. The red and the blue, blue is removable with common tools, the red is more permanent. But I will just make it tight. Lol thanks for the info guys!

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
no washers on mine at all. but it doesn't look like the one in the photo. it's a sort of large headed domed allen bolt with a thick collar that fits the lever and allows about 1mm of free lateral movement when fitted.

·
Registered
19,756 Posts
in an emergency make a wooden bushing to fit the shifter and a 8mmX 1.5 bolt and a steel washer you can get going till your part arrives

FOG

·
Registered
70 Posts
no washers on mine at all. but it doesn't look like the one in the photo. it's a sort of large headed domed allen bolt with a thick collar that fits the lever and allows about 1mm of free lateral movement when fitted.
That photo is from 2009 and I also don't know what the hell's going on in that photo... looks like that poster was improvising on the spot as they couldn't wait for the proper bolt to come in.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts