Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what would be the ideal shock setting be for a 4'11" rider at around 160-170 pounds. ive searched but found nothing and i understand the concept of adjusting it but havnt been able to in the past and am now far weaker due to my respiratory failure induced by pneumonia. i may have been doing it wrong

·
Registered
192 Posts
are you talking about the stock shock or an aftermarket one... the stock one is severely undersprung and only allows for a modified preload.... aftermarket ones are much easier, especially with a resevoir, all you really have to do with them is twist a knob (at least thats how it works on my cbr)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its stock. when i rode it, it felt way to soft and im only 150-160 lbs

·
Registered
192 Posts
im 160 as well and i have been having the same problem... as far as the rear suspension goes on this bike... it is severly undersprung (i think around a #330?), the more fiscally friendly solution is to get the rear suspension resprung with a hypercoil which would support your weigh, or if money is no object you could always invest in an ohlins or fox suspesnion system (and step up your game on the track) all are good options in comparison to the stock setup. Bon Chance!

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Remove the shock, loosen the locknut, and back the adjuster nut off all of the way to no spring tension. Then turn the nut to just take the free play out between the nut and spring. Measure that position and then turn the nut down to pre-load the spring 15/16". Tighten the lock nut, re-install, and check the free sag. It should be just about zero. When you get that, it's as good as it gets with the stock spring.

If it's not just zero, such that a fingertip will start downward motion, or maybe as much as 1/16", then take it out and turn additionally at a ratio of 2.85:1 for the desired change. Example: Desired change of 1/8". (.125"/2.85=.0439") or about 3/64" additional pre-load, measured at the spring.

Once installed, if the suspension is topped out hard under the bike's weight only, no rider aboard (very unlikely, but...) then you'll need to back it off until it just starts to move under the weight of the bike alone or if not, at least with the slightest push down on the bike.

Much more detail is available in the suspension threads. On completion it might be interesting to get static sag readings as well for an indication of what shape you're really in. I did a pretty thorough thread on this a few months ago.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts