Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

Shock uprgrade.

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  neumannzz 
#1 ·
Hello,

I am new to the forum. I currently run an 04 Ninja 500R. I find the rear shock to be too soft, but I am a bigger guy. I have an opportunity to buy a single air shock from an 85 Ninja 600R for really cheap. Does anyone know if it will fit in the bike?

#2 ·
The popular choice is one off a 08 & up Ninja 250 and all years Ninja 300. These have a 73% stiffer than the 500 spring, and are rated for a 220 lbs rider.

This is a true bolt on swap, I have done this on my 07 Ninja 500, and 98 Ninja 250, and a weigh 210 lbs

They can be found cheap on eBay, and are plentiful.

Also remember is upgrading the rear to a much stiffer rear shock, you must upgrade the fork springs!!!!

Here's a link the race tech that should get you set up.

Hope this helps, good luck

Reactions: yorkie
#3 ·
Thank you for the solid advice. I weigh about 260 and find the back bounces allot. My dust caps are starting to crack on the front forks, was planning to have those dealt with over the winter. Was just looking to solve the bouncing issue so my lower back won’t fatigue quite as quickly for now.

#4 ·
hi, my advice is as above but the 600r will fit providing it's not the fat boy shock (it fouls the dog bones) you will need to make a mount for the remote air valve though. I'd stick with the ninja 300 shock for ease.
you can also use the SV650 shock but that would require drilling the top bush from 10mm to 12mm there are two of these the white spring. (250lbs) and the stiffer yellow spring (300lbs) some like to fit these as the shock is longer by 1/2in so when fitted it raises the rear by around 2in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.