Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am new to the site, but my heart has been set on an ex-500 ever since i got my license. just seems like the perfect bike for me ;D. well heres my question. a guy is selling a 07 ex500(grey) with muzzy exhaust, and a few other minor upgrades. he seems like he will go below kbb value, but not sure i want to buy a bike that hasnt been modified by a shop or myself(dont know if he knows what he is doing). anyways, are the muzzy's upgrades easy enough to do/undo. i really want a sarachu so i can keep the centerstand.

also, he just got the 600mile dealer check up w/ the muzzy on, should i consider this or just keep looking for a less modified bike?

ps: anyone know a good forum for 1200 hd sportster, i learned alot about the ex from this forum.

·
Registered
381 Posts
muzzy exhaust isn't a big deal. if you like the bike, then go for it. i doubt any harm was done by putting the muzzy exhaust on. Just ask for the stockers if you do buy it for resale later down the rode. Good luck. post some pics here if you do buy it.

R

·
0 Posts
If he gives you the stock exhaust back, along with the centre stand, there's no real issues that some minor tuning can't solve.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I concur with what was said here.

If you can get the stock parts with it for a good price, you're golden :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
he has all the stock parts but i have yet to check it out. i will highly consider buying it.

if i do get it you'll probably hear alot of questions from me as well as a chance a used muzzy up for sell ;)

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Questions are always welcome :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
might as well ask now. while i test drive is there any way i can determine if the bike has been properly broken in or is it best to rely on faith. the bike has 1k miles

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I would do an oil change to be on the safe side.

Aside of that, there's no way I know of to be sure aside from talking with the guy

·
Registered
146 Posts
People also have varying opinions on the proper way to break in a motor.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
proper break in is a subject that seems to be as debated as regular and synthetic oil. besides, if you get a rear and front stand, you're golden.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've got the 07 Titanium or whatever color they call it. Looks more of a dusted gold than grey. I love it, rides well, looks great in the sun. BUY IT!

F

·
0 Posts
I don't think you have to worry much about the break in. Personally I just rode my ex like normal when I got it.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
You can put the Muzzy on craigslist is you don't like it.
It should sell fast, providing it doesn't have "road rash."

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the seller doesnt seem like he'll take my offer, maybe i should add little more and compromise. seems like it may be worth it overall. im not in a hurry though, i can always ride my dads 600 shadow. all that matters is that your out there riding.....for now ;).

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
listed as $4500 but his lowest was $4350 i wanted to get it for $4200 or less(all i have) but doesnt seem like he will budge. he relisted it at same price of $4500 so ill wait and see if someone else gets it then i guess its just not meant to be. personnally i prefer red(+10hp).

·
Registered
146 Posts
Normally, if I were only $150 apart on a deal, I'd suck it up and pay the extra $150.

In this particular case though, I've seen brand new EX500s within a few hundred miles of me for $4200-4500. You might want to look into what you can get brand new.

When I was looking though, $3000 was my target, and I paid $2900 for my 2004 with 6500 miles. I can do all of the mods I want to do, no matter if it were new or not, and still come in under $4k.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
problem is i live in Hawaii. dont know how much they add for shipping for brand new bikes. i called around the dealers here and the lowest brand new was $5900. but i think they getting a new batch of them so ill check again.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Ouch. Keep in mind that, when you call in, dealers tend to give you the highest possible price. Tell them you can get a 2007 for $4350 with warranty still left on it and see what they say.

If the price difference stays that high, I'd look at the fact that it's getting a new bike for a lot less than a new bike. If that $150 simply blows your budget, I'd be rethinking the price range altogether and waiting for the right bike to come along. Of course, that's easier to say when I live in Houston and the right bike will pop up withing 300 miles in a month or less...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts