Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I just purchased an '05 with 7.5k mi, now 8.5k, about a month ago. I have been going through fixing the little things, and the bike has slowly started to run smoother, with more power and better fuel economy ^-^

Part of what I am trying to diagnose is a jerkiness at a constant throttle/load. If I stay at ~5k revs the bike wants to be accelerating or engine braking. Tuning the air-fuel screws helped a lot, as well as new oil. I am planning valve adjustments when I get a free weekend, but I am wondering if cleaning, or buying a new petcock would help. Essentially, is this problem a potential fuel delivery issue?

Thanks!

Keith

·
Super Moderator
14,791 Posts
Hey Guys,

I just purchased an '05 with 7.5k mi, now 8.5k, about a month ago. I have been going through fixing the little things, and the bike has slowly started to run smoother, with more power and better fuel economy ^-^

Part of what I am trying to diagnose is a jerkiness at a constant throttle/load. If I stay at ~5k revs the bike wants to be accelerating or engine braking. Tuning the air-fuel screws helped a lot, as well as new oil. I am planning valve adjustments when I get a free weekend, but I am wondering if cleaning, or buying a new petcock would help. Essentially, is this problem a potential fuel delivery issue?

Thanks!

Keith
Historically, some members have incorrectly interpreted this as an engine/carb issue, when in reality, driveline issues are really at fault. Worn or incorrectly adjusted chain/sprockets, worn rear wheel dampers, etc. It may demand some further inspection on your part to totally eliminate as a possibility, but may be in your best interests.

That said....nothing wrong with occasional disassembling and *properly* cleaning petcock innards, followed by correct reassembly.

Have you done the tank vent flapper valve removal procedure as well?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Historically, some members have incorrectly interpreted this as an engine/carb issue, when in reality, driveline issues are really at fault. Worn or incorrectly adjusted chain/sprockets, worn rear wheel dampers, etc. It may demand some further inspection on your part to totally eliminate as a possibility, but may be in your best interests.

That said....nothing wrong with occasional disassembling and *properly* cleaning petcock innards, followed by correct reassembly.

Have you done the tank vent flapper valve removal procedure as well?
I have not done the tank vent flapper valve. Is there a write-up on this procedure?

For the petcock rebuild, should I just disassemble and clean it, or replace parts as well?

The chain and sprockets are in good condition, but I just checked the slack and the chain when lifted can hit the rubber bumper on the frame. I assume this is too loose, I'll have to adjust this soon.

How much play should be in the hub dampers? The sprocket can turn a few degrees of free play. Do I have to pull it apart to properly inspect this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
19,326 Posts
Thank you, I will do that as a precaution. Now to rig up some laser pointers to do my alignment. The wiki claims I shouldn't measure off the frame, have you found this accurate?
The running problem is carb related, specifically flooding or too much fuel in the float bowls . Your float valves are not stopping the flow when the floats are up to level (17 mm)

You must fix this the float valves must be tested with a gravity fed. Supply with the carbs off and set at the same angle as when mounted.

Fog

1 - 6 of 6 Posts