Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if there is somewhere to buy these new? Or do I need to find some used ones and maybe paint them to match my bike? I have checked ebay, but there isn't a whole lot on there. My bike is a 1993, and it's blue. There just didn't seem to be much on there.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
1993 puts yours as a gen1 (1987-1993). They cannot be purchased new anymore, been that way for a while now. Used gen1 side panel fairings are plentiful on ebay, though maybe not necessarily in your exact year, but if you keep a watchful eye they will eventually pop up. It will be easier to buy the best condition set and paint them to match your bike.

Something to keep in mind about these gen1 side fairings. The weak point is the two pointed rear mounting tabs which pop into rubber grommets in the tail fairing and 95% of them for sale have one or both broken off/already (poorly) repaired. This is due to a few design flaws.
The tabs don't have nearly enough meat attaching them to the fairing.
The tabs are a very snug fit into the grommets and after repeated hard yanking to pop them out, they begin to crack at the base. The front mounting tab, though identical in appearance and function, doesn't suffer from this as the fit is looser.
The tail fairing mounting tabs (the two which slide into rubber grommets, not the two on the outside which use m6 bolts to fasten it to the frame) like to break due to the weight of the tail light and tail light bracket bouncing up and down. When this happens, that weight transfers up to the m6 mounting holes which quickly fail, then that weight levers itself to the side fairing tabs, eventually snapping those. I burn though a tail fairing every 30,000-40,000 miles. I am currently experimenting with a solution to this problem by supporting the tail light mounting bracket with the frame itself. I had some 6 gauge copper wire hanging around and bent that up in a way which provides the right support. I've had it in for a year and so far so good.

All of the above issues were resolved with the gen2 update in 1994. The tail light because mounted directly to the frame and the two side fairings and tail fairing were ditched in favor of a two piece design: a right half and left half, going from the tank all the way to the tail light, with a wallet sized fairing trim directly above the tail light. The seat sides were modified slightly to follow a new body line.

A gen2 rear end can be easily swapped onto a gen1. If you feel like going that route, I can provide a list of what needs to be swapped out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you find a set of good side fairings, modify them. Rough up the surrounding and hollow inside of the two rear mounts. Than pour 2 component polyester resin in and around them to make them solid in stead of hollow. After curing, mount them with loads of Vaseline in the rubber grommets. When removing, always try to pul them off perpendicular to the bike, with one hand on the inside for support. This way the Gen1 side panels will last quit long.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Regarding broken tabs, if you have the pieces, there is a glue named Q-Bond that uses powder and a form of super glue to make instant repairs. I learned this from mad genius Allen Millyard in one of his YouTube vids.

Also look up the part number of those side covers and save the searches on eBay. A few NOS parts show up now and then. With patience, you can have a matching bike.

·
Registered
602 Posts
All of the above issues were resolved with the gen2 update in 1994. The tail light because mounted directly to the frame and the two side fairings and tail fairing were ditched in favor of a two piece design: a right half and left half, going from the tank all the way to the tail light, with a wallet sized fairing trim directly above the tail light. The seat sides were modified slightly to follow a new body line.

A gen2 rear end can be easily swapped onto a gen1. If you feel like going that route, I can provide a list of what needs to be swapped out.
quick proviso on Saabnut's post if you do go with the gen2 panels you need all 3. 2 sides and light panel you will also need a gen 2 light to match the fairings and it will look a whole lot better with a gen 2 seat so it all matches.
edit. should have said you must use gen 2 seat the gen 1 seat doesn't fit the gen 2 panels (tried this morning] sorry.

·
Registered
602 Posts
very little belly pan I think. front fairing really requires the fairing the fairing stay a headlight and a clock set as the gens mount and are positioned differently. tank is the same but the rear requires as above both side panels tail light rear light section and seat. it will all fit but has to fit en block.
first photo gen 1 fully kitted second photo same bike with gen 2 kit. you can see the differences

·
Registered
55 Posts
Will a Gen 2 front mudguard fit onto a Gen 1 bike?
My mudguard has a crack in it. Seems to be a regular thing on Gen 1 EX's as all the ones on ebay look the same as mine.
The Gen 2 item looks stronger.

·
Registered
602 Posts
nope sorry the gen 1 fixes with two little bolts into the fork leg the gen 2 has two lugs on the legs. with ingenuity and brackets suppose it is possible though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts