Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, first time poster but I've been reading and learning here for quite a while.

My left front signal recently stopped flashing, I went and got a bulb yesterday but to my surprise that fixed nothing, the running light comes on but no flash, tho the rear and right ride all flash normally.
Am i correct in thinking the relay must be fine if all the rest are flashing?
And it must have power for the running light to be on, maybe a ground somewhere?
I did find some butt connectors tucked under the headlight from a previous owner, but I would think if the wire wasn't making connection the running light wouldent come on... I'm stumped, I hope someone here can help me out. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
hi. our bikes do not have running lights so this is a educated guess. I assume the indicator bulbs are dual filament (like the rear stop/tail light) so has 2 inputs and one earth return. one filament can have power the other not. and will still show a light (the running one) like if the brake light is out but side light works (and visa versa) the fact you changed the bulb with no difference I would guess the power to the indicator is down (probably a connection) if the earth was a problem the running light would not work either. check the connections for the indicator wire back to the red harness connector. (the green wire) running lights a blue I think.

·
Super Moderator
6,870 Posts
@yorkie
If your bikes don't have running lights, why is my GPZ wiring diagram showing 3 wires going to a 2 filament bulb to the front bulbs?
Edit:
Nevermind, I guess it's a 1 filament bulb.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
yes it is a single 21w standard indicator bulb. although it is wired for running lights (blue wire) these are just left unconnected. with just two wires going to the bulb unit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi. our bikes do not have running lights so this is a educated guess. I assume the indicator bulbs are dual filament (like the rear stop/tail light) so has 2 inputs and one earth return. one filament can have power the other not. and will still show a light (the running one) like if the brake light is out but side light works (and visa versa) the fact you changed the bulb with no difference I would guess the power to the indicator is down (probably a connection) if the earth was a problem the running light would not work either. check the connections for the indicator wire back to the red harness connector. (the green wire) running lights a blue I think.
I took a closer look at all the butt connections I found the other day, one was loose, the blue wire, when I gave it a tug it came right apart but the signal started flashing, it's dull but it did flash. Just for shits I plugged it back in and pulled the black wire, also started to flash, pulling the green wire cut all the power and plugging them all back in leaves me with my original problem...I'm really confused now.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
may sound like a silly comeback but you did buy and fit a dual filament bulb not a single filament one didn't you and made sure it was fitted the right way round.

if you did the only solution is to get the multimeter out. disconnect all 3 wires from the connectors.
set to 12v DC. put the black probe on the yellow/black wire. and the red probe on the battery plus terminal. should show 12.5v or whatever is in the battery. this shows you have a good earth return circuit.
then with the running lights on. put the red probe on the blue wire and the black probe on black/yellow wire. you should get a reading from the running lights.
lastly put the black probe on on the black/yellow wire red probe on the green wire and turn on the left indicator should get a on/off reading in time with the flasher unit.
if all this checks out you may have a faulty bulb holder. if it doesn't check out the wiring is messed up somehow but this seems unlikely as it was working before the bulb blew out. clean all the bullet connectors and try aging. my guess is you made a mistake somewhere.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts