Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am not good with motors or knowing whats wrong with them. so here is my problem. Ok i have an ex500 and i have a weird noise coming from the engine. it sounds like a slapping type noise above the gear shifter in the motor. it inst there when i am out of gear and the bike is idling. when i put the bike in gear and start to move it starts, and when you accelerate there is a noticeable jerky feel until about 7000 rmp then the bike takes off and you don't feel it anymore. it is mainly there when you are just cruising and there is kind of a clank noise from the motor when you are letting the bike slow down in the gears with no break. the sound to the best of my ability sounds a bit like this, ta tap ta tap ta tap, sounds almost like a chain in the motor is slapping or something, the bike has no power loss at all, runs fine when your not in gear but just does all this when you are in gear and moving. any ideas? i posted in another forum and everyone said it was the primary chain but here is a pic of where the noise is coming from, in the red circle is where i hear it

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
OK that the generator (altenator) and the noise could be the magnets breaking up and stuck in the wrong places and causing the noise.

You can pull off that cover without harming anything there is no oil in there, to take a look. The problem is why only in gear? I think thats a white elephant.

FOG

·
Registered
17 Posts
Bendingspoon, did you ever figure this one out? Mine seems to be doing the same thing......I hear it at lower RPM's, lower MPH...once I get moving it goes away OR when I pull in the clutch.....no problems shifitng thru gears....no jerking

·
Registered
867 Posts
Rubber dampers in the rear wheel? could be getting on in age. like FOG :p....careful he's spunky

·
Registered
17 Posts
It seems to me like it's coming from the motor...I took it for a test ride and was driving in first and second gear at low speeds and I put my head down to listen and it seemed to come from the left hand side...you can even feel it through the pegs when it happens....and like I said..I pull in the clutch and "coast" there is no weird noises at all...fyi.....it's a 2001 with 25G's on the odo.

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Well aside from the afore mentioned Magnets, There are a few other thing that could make a noise in there all of them Bad.

Bad rod bearing, Broken Crankshaft and a slight chance that the starter system has somehow come adrift. If it start OK discount that one. The primary chain is on the other side of the engine and usually just make a soft thudding sound at Idle and nothing when loaded

FOG

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress .
But then I repeat myself.
--Mark Twain

·
Registered
17 Posts
I checked the chain, it was a tad lose....tightened it.....rode it down the road without the chain gaurd...I didn't hear the noise.....put the gaurd back on....heard it when taking off from a stop, from my road onto highway...then heard it maybe once or twice after that and I couldn't really "create" the sound like I could before by letting off the gas in first or second.....so I'm assuming the chains rubbing something...checked the gaurd didn't see anything so maybe the chains hitting something else...I'll look into it more tonight...thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
14,969 Posts
for that, i'd find an incline, and COAST with motor off. listen carefully to pinpoint noise, repeat if necessary.

·
Registered
17 Posts
FOG, would a bad rod bearing or broken crankshaft create a fast sound(if that makes since??)?.....the noise I hear is somewhat slow.....I checked the chain and it looks fine. Put it up on the center stand, spun the rear tire...turns over smooth no funky noise.
The sound I'm hearing is not a slapping noise more like a noise somewhere between a kuchunk................kuchunk and a knock

·
Super Moderator
14,969 Posts
aenima said:
FOG, would a bad rod bearing or broken crankshaft create a fast sound(if that makes since??)?.....the noise I hear is somewhat slow.....I checked the chain and it looks fine. Put it up on the center stand, spun the rear tire...turns over smooth no funky noise.
The sound I'm hearing is not a slapping noise more like a noise somewhere between a kuchunk................kuchunk and a knock
oh, gawd...... :-X

·
Registered
17 Posts
Gawd is right......I keep hoping that when I look at it this weekend that it was just a baby armadillo stuck in my chain guard that I didn't see when I first looked at it..... :'(
What's the cost of rebuilding one of these puppies? Is it something worth doing(for a newbie) or would it be best to buy a used engine off eBay?????

·
Registered
17 Posts
(keep in mind I"m a newbie ;))I finally had some time this weekend to look at the bike. I took off the chain, alternator cover and clutch cover. I noticed on the inside of the clutch cover there was some gouging...I put everthing back together and tried adjusting the clutch lever to see if I could get the noise to magically disappear, but to no avail. Should I take the springs out and check spec? Any other suggestions.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
14,969 Posts
mr aenima heloooooooooo ! ;D

is the gouging the source area of the noise?

IF SO : can you strip down your clutch and check for a loose clutch nut???

go to ronayers.com...look at the parts diagram for your clutch. big nut, dead center, holds clutch basket. there is a locking tab washer, possibly came loose?

in doing so, you will be removing clutch springs as well, go slow, go easy....you can do it.

maybe an hour or 2 TOPS. good luck. suggest using a service manual to guide you.
watch out for baby armadillo's. this is not 100% guarantee, but worth discounting, in view of your fingings of gouging.

please post findings here.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for the encouraging words and advice Ducatiman! I'll take a look at it this weekend...just to rule it out before I throw the motor off a cliff:)

·
Super Moderator
14,969 Posts
something else struck me while digesting your situation.......

at one point in this thread, you said noise coming from shifter area (LHS).

clutch on rhs. i'd like clarification. again is gouging area source of noise?
what is creating gouge? exactly what is the piece hitting the clutch cover ???

and further...before disassembling clutch, can you grab the basket both gloved hands...push & PULL hard outward and inward. any motion? clicking? should be solid as a rock.
now pull hard side to side (not rotating) any motion? should be solid as well.

if either of these push-pull tests reveal any looseness, slop, clicking etc. DISASSEMBLE.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah that's the thing....it SEEMS to me that the noise is coming from the left side of the motor...I decided just to start with the easiest things and remove the covers and I just happened to see the gouging...it's a small radius gouge...so some part close to the center of the clutch assembly(fiche calls it a clutch plate).....not sure if it was there for while or what...and like I said previously the sound comes in a some what slow pattern...not like a faster pattern that would come from a smaller diameter part(if that makes any sense??) that's why I checked the chain drive first, but didn't see anything.....I will check the clutch like you said........is it possible that the clutch bolt is loose and maybe the primary chain is rubbing?? This noise only seems to happen under load as well.....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts