Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to upgrade my exhaust because the bike is just too quiet. I have the 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 500r and I’m having trouble finding slip ons that aren’t super expensive and that will actually fit. I ordered some slip ons from Amazon that fit the 250s and 650s so I assumed they’d fit my 500 but they didn’t and were not the right style. I want my bike to be louder but not as loud as it would be if it was just straight piped. If anyone has a suggestion of where I can order some slip ons that’d be awesome.

·
Premium Member
3,792 Posts
Unfortunately all the manufacturers have moved on to newer motorcycles. You can try looking on eBay or elsewhere but good luck.

Try looking overseas where the Ninja 500R is referred to as the GPZ 500R. The Europeans seem to have make a lot of aftermarket parts for this version of the bike.

If you just want to give the bike a different sound you can modify the OEM mufflers

Reactions: auburn

·
Premium Member
3,792 Posts
The only problem with those is it's gonna be very loud, and most likely sound like a pissed off weed eater.

Small parallel twin engines sometimes do not sound good with some aftermarket exhaust and/or slip-ons

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only problem with those is it's gonna be very loud, and most likely sound like a pissed off weed eater.

Small parallel twin engines sometimes do not sound good with some aftermarket exhaust and/or slip-ons
Yes, you’re probably right. Do you think those dimensions look right though? I just don’t want to buy something and have to return it again and I really don’t like how the factory exhaust slip ons look, I don’t like the chrome.

·
Premium Member
3,792 Posts
Yes, you’re probably right. Do you think those dimensions look right though? I just don’t want to buy something and have to return it again and I really don’t like how the factory exhaust slip ons look, I don’t like the chrome.

I'd say modify the stock mufflers like in that YouTube video I posted worst case scenario is you're out some time no money. I've done those modifications to my EX500 and found them to be just about right without sounding like crap

·
Premium Member
3,792 Posts
Good call

·
Registered
182 Posts
I had delkevic 14" oval slip ons when I had my ex500. Sounded good, louder but not obnoxious. Removable baffle if you want it way louder. I think I paid around $340 brand new. They are still available from delkevic.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
They are hen's teeth now, but way back when, Cobra made F1 slipons for the EX. Re-packable and provide just enough back pressure to avoid messing with carburetion. I have had mine for 20 years now. Chaparral claims to have two sets and has set a price of $273/pair, but their eBay listing is a bit strange. Best to call if interested. The Cobra part number is 4081.

·
Premium Member
1997 Kawasaki Ninja 500
252 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,792 Posts
Okay, show-n-tell time,

on my 91 aka "Phoenix" I have a pair of Cobra F1r slip-ons, I got them used and repacked them with Acousta-Fil® PTX Exhaust Silencer Packing

I got them used off eBay, and when I got them open, there was no packing whatsoever.

These sound good, it a raspy tone, but not annoying, ever on long rides. The Rs are a bit louder that the S.

And on my 07 aka "Nightwing" I put a Vance & Hines 2 into 1 full system, also repacked with Acousta-Fil®, fully wrapped and painted.

This is a good system, and the Acousta-Fil® after it expands give it a nice low end grumble, and deeper tone.

Reactions: Elsevere and bpe
1 - 15 of 15 Posts