Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all, looking for some help. i recently swapped out my carbs. upon start up it ran decent, made idle speed adjustments. anyhow --when you let off the gas it takes a second to return to the set idle rpm. like it hangs at 3 or 4k for maybe a second or 2 before dropping. any ideas on what i need to start with. i am gonna try to synch them myself but wanted to see if i needed to do more internal work first. i did clean the carbs up with cleaner and air before installing them. thanks..

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Might check over any moving cables & linkage & make sure that nothing is bent, binding or rubbing up against a surface. Maybe a cable got routed around something the wrong way & is making too sharp of a curve, or is stretched too far. Look for any source of friction, anything from throttle-grip to the carbs, that could momentarily resist, or drag against, the pulling of return-springs & such.

Someone else will need to address anything inside the carbs that could do such things.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i actually did adjust the cables. they seem to be alright. i pushed on the linkage while it was running to make sure that it was not hanging up. the throttle will turn freely and return easily when let go.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Make sure the manifold boots are seated on the carb hubs and aren't leaking. A vacuum leak can act that way.

Z

·
0 Posts
I've never experienced this but according to Factory Pro...

NOTE: A lean problem gets better as the engine heats up.
If the throttle is lightly "blipped" at idle, and the rpm "hangs up" before dropping to the set idle speed, and there are no intake leaks and the idle speed is set at less than 1000 rpm, the mixture screws are probably too lean: try 1/2 turn out, to richen mixture. Be sure there are no intake leaks and the idle speed is set at less than 1000 rpm!

·
Registered
177 Posts
dad said:
Make sure the manifold boots are seated on the carb hubs and aren't leaking. A vacuum leak can act that way.
I'm at work so I can't run out and check, but here's what happened to me yesterday. I went out, choked it up, let it idle, choked it down (idle was normal), then about 1/2 a block from work the idle dropped to like 500 or 600. So, I pulled over let it idle for a minute or two just to make sure it was compeletely warmed up and then adjusted the idle to put it back around 1300 (CA model idles a little higher). Rode it to the gym, and the carb felt super flat until about 5 grand. As soon as I got it home, the idle was up around 3 grand! So, I adjusted the idle on carb back to around 1,300 again. Any idea what caused this momentary idle problem? You think I might have a vacuum leak? Or was it just a one time incident of the carb sticking? Maybe? I was pretty confused yesterday... It's a 2007, so everything is factory stock. You guys ever hear of this?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts