Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I’m Laurel, long time lurker and user of the wiki

So this is Bedlam, it’s been passed around as a million people’s beginner bike and ended up with me and I made it all working good again, it’s the greatest bike in the world and I love it very much.

the other day, poor Bedlam took a nap in my driveway after the center standsunk into some soft sand. It fell up againt A railing and smashed off the top corner of the fairing and windshield.

I’ve had a handful of ideas and I wanted more input and opinions (yes I know my bike is ratty)

my first idea was to get a gen1 fairing, because I like them better, and just stick that on there, but I’ve come tounderstand they don’t have the same mounting bolts and maybe not enough room for the gauge cluster,
I’m not worried about the stabilizer inserts, I could make something that fit there pretty easily. And then I could mount in some aftermarket headlight (or headlights)
I don’t think it’d be super hard to do.

the second idea was just to take the fairing off or cut and bondo it down into something more streetfighterynakedwhatever looking thing, but I think that would be a pain in the ass and probably end up looking like ****.

The third idea was to fabricate a really simple, more or less geometricly shaped aluminum fairing that covered all the same stuff and mounted to the same bolts. And that’s something I’m fairly confident I could do well, I’m just worried that 1/8in aluminum sheet would weigh too much

Any ideas anyone?

3C7A0DB9-B330-4C19-9F18-E33307D379FC.jpeg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The radiator is fixed I just thought the picture described the bike well, good flavor. Sorry about the swears.

·
Premium Member
84' Goldwing Aspencade, 91' EX500, 98' Ninja 250/17' 300 engine, 07' EX500
3,813 Posts
I'd say chop down the fairing, and see how it goes.

Worst case scenario, find a used OEM replacement.

Reactions: ksurk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where to chop is the question then. I really like having the side panels that cover the coolant tank all those bits, I don’t like the shape of the headlight or the mike wazowski looking face shape.
I’ll do a bunch of sketches

·
Registered
265 Posts
Why can't you take the fairing off and use melted Legos with MEK to do the repairs? Would be nice if you had the broken piece from the upper. Bike looks the part ie Good (y)

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'd do the old zip tie stitches. Drill holes opposed on each side, about an inch or two apart, in a diameter that allows a cable tie to pass through to the hole on the other side of the crack. You want the zip tie to run perpendicular to the crack. Tighten and cut. It's ugly, like Frankenstein stitches, which is the appeal for some.
Of course also drill a decent sized hole at base of crack to stop it from spreading.

Oh wait, compound fracture. You'd have to splint it, and still no guarantees.

It's been a while, but I think I just took the fairing and windscreen off, did a paper template for one half, flipped it over for symmetry. Freehand curve to maximize retention. Hack saw and file/sand.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I'd do the old zip tie stitches. Drill holes opposed on each side, about an inch or two apart, in a diameter that allows a cable tie to pass through to the hole on the other side of the crack. You want the zip tie to run perpendicular to the crack. Tighten and cut. It's ugly, like Frankenstein stitches, which is the appeal for some.
Of course also drill a decent sized hole at base of crack to stop it from spreading.

Oh wait, compound fracture. You'd have to splint it, and still no guarantees.

It's been a while, but I think I just took the fairing and windscreen off, did a paper template for one half, flipped it over for symmetry. Freehand curve to maximize retention. Hack saw and file/sand.
I showed my orthopedic doctor a picture of some stitched together body work and said, "look Doc, its like a plated bone." He was impressed :D

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have been struggling with this same issue for years. My solution--which never satisfies me--has been to fix the busted fairings with PVC cement--the old black ABS friendly kind--sand it down, then spray paint over the area with a color more or less similar to the rest of the bike. The end result looks pretty rough... but it holds things together... I'd love to see how you fix this. I'm especially curious about the aluminum fairing possibility. I've considered something like that but I know nothing about shaping aluminum.

I love your bike, by the way. I'm probably revealing my ignorance here (yet again), but what are the symbols on the windscreen and the side of the front fairing?

Please show us what you do!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts