Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had some guys saying it would sound terrible, others saying just never do it... personally, i kinda liked it and OMG LOUD! I made it for the guys over at ex-500.com.
Vid Here

Haha ok I KNOW about the socks so BEFORE u give me ****, its noted in the vid description

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Reminds me of listening to a big bore V-twin like a TL1000R or something.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I remember being on a big block powered swamp boat in the Everglades with straight headers pointed toward the sky. That thing was slightly louder than your bike. Slightly.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually according to Kawi, its not a huge deal, its not bad because the header pipes are pretty long, the only time u may have a problem is when u turn it off. I dont feel like explaining it in detail but basically, if i were to get a cone shaped baffle and figure out how to mount it inside the header and not get too much restriction from it... it'd be just fine.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
If you gut the cans it sounds pretty much exactly the same, maybe 10 db quieter. That's what I've got on my bike now.

The biggest thing I've ever heard as a problem with shorter exhaust (on cars) is the chance of cold air getting back to the valves and warping them. That's more of a problem with no header or an exhaust leak at the flange, nothing at the length of the factory pipes. I was going to ditch the cans to drop the weight and the huge chunk of metal that's basically just an empty pipe now, and go back with either a set of smaller pipes to route the exhaust back, or fab up a muffler of sorts under the belly (a la 650R).

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
The "cold air warping the valves" thing seems like an urban legend sort of thing.

Anyone have some real first-hand experience with the problem?

One writer made a claim:
http://www.edmontonsportriderz.com/forumvb/showthread.php?p=152661

"You won't hurt your bike by straight-piping it..... you'll just annoy your neighbours.
Back in the day, when I was young and dirt was new, there was an issue about warping exhaust valves if the exhaust pipe was so short that cold air could invade the pipe and cool an open exhaust valve too fast. Modern metalurgy used in engine valve technology has done away with that issue, plus, your header pipes are long enough, even if that issue still existed."

(I also found this monster techno article:
http://pweb.jps.net/~snowbum/InExTuning.htm )

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
MrSciTrek said:
The "cold air warping the valves" thing seems like an urban legend sort of thing.

Anyone have some real first-hand experience with the problem?

One writer made a claim:
http://www.edmontonsportriderz.com/forumvb/showthread.php?p=152661

"You won't hurt your bike by straight-piping it..... you'll just annoy your neighbours.
Back in the day, when I was young and dirt was new, there was an issue about warping exhaust valves if the exhaust pipe was so short that cold air could invade the pipe and cool an open exhaust valve too fast. Modern metalurgy used in engine valve technology has done away with that issue, plus, your header pipes are long enough, even if that issue still existed."

(I also found this monster techno article:
http://pweb.jps.net/~snowbum/InExTuning.htm )
Like I said, it was more of a problem at the mounting point. Any length of pipe at all is going to avoid the problem or any chance of it. The worry I'd always heard was when a stock manifold was warped or damaged (my Galaxie had a cracked bolt hole on the manifold, I had to drive it for awhile with a pair of Vice Grips on it to keep it from leaking :p) and the air could get directly to the valves.

Long story short, I was poorly saying that dropping the mufflers won't hurt anything. Dropping off the entire exhaust (or driving with a bad exhaust leak at the head) might cause some problems.

Depending on how rich/lean the bike in the video is, you should try that at night. I had mine apart in my shop (I was trying to fix a leak at the head and wanted to check it before I put everything back together) and we noticed that when you'd rev it and let off you could shoot some flames out of the pipes. Childish? Perhaps. But fun nonetheless :D.

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
All the valve nonsense aside (and it is nonsense) running with out pipes will cost you howpower, a lot. you couls stand to loose 4 or 5 Hp at most reves.

FOG

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Nick D said:
MrSciTrek said:
.... (my Galaxie had a cracked bolt hole on the manifold, I had to drive it for awhile with a pair of Vice Grips on it to keep it from leaking :p)...

Depending on how rich/lean the bike in the video is, you should try that at night. I had mine apart in my shop (I was trying to fix a leak at the head and wanted to check it before I put everything back together) and we noticed that when you'd rev it and let off you could shoot some flames out of the pipes. Childish? Perhaps. But fun nonetheless :D.
Vice grips holding the exhaust manifold in place... priceless.
Flaming exhaust... fun, as long as you aren't flammable, eh? :eek:

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
FOG said:
All the valve nonsense aside (and it is nonsense) running with out pipes will cost you howpower, a lot. you couls stand to loose 4 or 5 Hp at most reves.

FOG
There you have it. I'll take that as FOG saying nothing bad will happen if you run with no headers on your bike. It's all nonsense, after all. ;)

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
MrSciTrek said:
Flaming exhaust... fun, as long as you aren't flammable, eh? :eek:
You just have to be sure to keep your feet forward on the pegs enough to keep your flip flops - er, shoe strings - er, boot straps out of the flames ;D :D.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts