Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well EX500 clan, I hate to leave but I'm no longer a member of the EX500 community. Over this past weekend, I sold my very capable and comfortable '01 Ninja 500 to a first-time rider. I had a garage sale over the weekend and just to get people to stop, I parked my Ninja out by the curb. Not too long after, a nice little lady stopped and asked about it, later bringing her son by to see it. Sure enough, he scooped it up for $2k (I bought it for $400).

Sunday and Monday passed while I looked for something else. At 8:30am on Tuesday (motorcycle shops are always closed Sunday & Monday), I was waiting to see a 2005 ZX6RR that Southwest Superbikes had for sale. Man am I glad I got there 30-minutes early because all weekend the guys that work at the shop were getting texts and inquiries on the bike. I'm now the proud owner of the badest bike I could get my hands on.

Here are some highlights of the bike and a few shots:
  • GP SHIFT
  • WOODCRAFT STATOR CASE
  • VORTEX REAR SET
  • BRAIDED BRAKE LINES
  • AIRTECH FIBERGLASS FULL BODY KIT
  • TRACK DYNAMIC FORKS/SUSPENSION
  • PENSKE REAR SHOCK
  • 520 CHAIN CONVERSION
  • OHLINS STEERING DAMPENER

So long EX500 family. I'll see you when your EX500's no longer cut it too. Be safe in the meantime and keep it between the ditches.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Sounds like your experience worked out great for you! Your new ride looks awesome!

Hopefully, you told the buyer of your EX about this site!

Have fun on your ZX6!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ha ha. ok BYE. warning though in 10 years time you will see a little ninja. and think wish I still had mine. cos everyone does.
I already miss that big cushy seat and grip height. Won't miss standing on the pegs trying to get it to turn in at the track though;)

·
Registered
19,635 Posts
Be careful what you wish for. going faster doesn't just mean wicking it up down the straights. you got to corner faster too. this can get scary.
I took my FZR 1000 to Bridghamton one time, with that long 3/4 mile straight. then realized that got me to turn 1 at 160 mph instead of a nice cozy 120.
needless to say I had to rethink that idea. Seemed to me a get off at that speed might hurt my 65 year old bod a lot more.
Can't Imagine the Moto GP guys got 220+ into 1

FOG

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Be careful what you wish for. going faster doesn't just mean wicking it up down the straights. you got to corner faster too. this can get scary.
I took my FZR 1000 to Bridghamton one time, with that long 3/4 mile straight. then realized that got me to turn 1 at 160 mph instead of a nice cozy 120.
needless to say I had to rethink that idea. Seemed to me a get off at that speed might hurt my 65 year old bod a lot more.
Can't Imagine the Moto GP guys got 220+ into 1

FOG
Thanks for the words of wisdom @fog . I'll definitely take day 1, 2, 3, and 4 easy.

I hate that it happened, but I've just outgrown the 500. I even had a guy on an Aprilia RSV Mille tell me, "You really hate that motorcycle, don't you? You show it no mercy". That bike railed corners and banged on the rev limiter endlessly, but it just can't achieve what I want it to do, no matter how much I improve it.

I'm ready to take my riding to the next level, and the EX500, along with my '81 Honda Passport scooter, helped me with high-speed cornering; like Moto3 riders in MotoGP versus SuperBike riders that make it to MotoGP (I was Ben Spies' biggest fan. Johnny Rea is another good example of this). The EX500 will teach you corner speed first and foremost, and you can be faster than 90% of the people on the track on one if you know how to ride it. And only when you've got that down would I ever recommend someone switch bikes...It'll be nice to keep the $h!theads on liter bikes behind me on the straight so I'm able to hold my pace around the track for once rather than crawl through the corners while they start braking at the previous turn exit all the way through the straight then zigzag all over the race line in the corners. And these guys have racing licenses? Yikes! Ugh, can't wait!!!

Fortunately, I had a 2000 R1 before, so I'm used to the straight-line speed. But I'm with you, I can't imagine doing 220mph over the crest at Mugello on a Desmo GP. Imagine being Marquez and having to bail at that speed in 2013.

@fog , thanks for being a Guru to the 500 riders. You certainly made my bike faster with the FOG Bones and FOG MOD. If anything, I'll miss reading your crotchity remarks to the forum..but that's part of your charm I guess;)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like your experience worked out great for you! Your new ride looks awesome!

Hopefully, you told the buyer of your EX about this site!

Have fun on your ZX6!
I did. This is the best forum on the internet by far.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
ha ha. ok BYE. warning though in 10 years time you will see a little ninja. and think wish I still had mine. cos everyone does.
Try to find a 30, 20, 10 or even 5 year old 600 that has not been thrashed and crashed. This may be the last one left.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts