Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

so my bike goes faster than a normal 94+

2K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  bobthebiker 
#1 ·
well, I guess I'm a little shocked. I found out today that my 98 500 goes 125, and feels like it STILL wants to go faster. I gotta regear this thing so I'm not doin that kind of speeds. -1 up front oughta do it nicely. I dont recall any 500R having gone 120+, seems to me they topped out at 115, unless the weather was just right, or I shed enough weight and stuff that slows it down. I have no clue honestly.

#2 ·
Speed read via GPS?

#4 ·
didnt verify by GPS yet, I gotta get a friends unit and go back to the test grounds. I know it showed 125 on the speedo, and was still picking up speed. talk about a rush, that was sure it. I know the speedo is optimistic though.

#11 ·
I'm new to riding and this forum but as far as top speed goes, I'm an owner of a 07 500r and I've had mine up to 130 and it still wants to go faster (due to rpms and the fact I was riding to fast anyway I didn't). I am almost 6' and 220lbs. I am wonder how fast they will actually go.

#12 ·
Again, it take a GPS reading to get a accurate speed, as speedo errors are off by a % not a fixed number the error ratio increase's with speed.

ie 8% would be off 4mph at 50mph but off 8mph at 100mph.

#15 ·
i've never actually looked down while accelerating, but occationally i'll look down upon decel an i've been in the 125 range upon decel. stock gearing and the bike is an 89. i'm only 5'6 130lbs though ;D

side note: while doing some spirited back road riding with some friends i've never been really left behind. Yes i fall behind a little bit but they never leave me in the dust. i ride with a 97 gsxr 750 and an 06 yfz 600. i think the kid on the gsxr is still afraid to open his up though. its nutty fast. i can't go full throttle without the front tire coming off the ground in a nasty hurry but he outweighs me by 70 lbs easily

#16 ·
Downhill WOT I got an indicated 130 on my 2006. At a trackday, -1 on the front, coming down a bank it was at 125 WOT. I imagine the speedo to be very inaccurate though. I'd guess 110-115 actual. The bike could probably go faster with better aero, it's just not designed for it.

#17 ·
well. I'd imagine with better fairings designed for aerodynamics, a full exhaust system, and maybe some better gearing, this bike could actually do in the real 120-130mph range, depending on rider weight and conditions.

#19 ·
120 mph = 200 km/h

I've never seen pipes making any performance upgrade on this bike, neither peoples who have way more experience than me on this matter..

Most (if not all) sportbikes speedo are enthusiastic. Manufacturers prefer to have you overexcited about your speed than show you the real deal.. That make then sell more..

If you want the accurate answer, get a GPS

If you want to die fast, get a bigger bike.

#20 ·
yeah, the bigger bike to die faster idea is totally true. honestly, the 500 is just too much fun at 55mph. I like the 500 more than 600's, but at the same time, I wouldnt mind having a 600cc supersport for the fun of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.