Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To finish it off I still need to take off the front part of the seat cushion, fiberglass over the rear hump. Then the plan it to cut out a square panel from the bottom of the seat, take out all the foam, and put the square panel back on a hinge with a small lock so I can use it fopr spare storage.

Z

·
0 Posts
Re: solo seat project

Looks good so far... While your doing all that work, why not remove the rear grab handle and fiberglass that area in as well. So it's a nice, smooth transition all the way to the rear body work. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts

Derf... you're a creative do-it-youself maniac!

Love it! Keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts

MrSciTrek said:
Derf... you're a creative do-it-youself maniac!

Love it! Keep us posted.
^ Ditto :)

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Yeh my wife hates it, I also have a '57 super seven sitting in my garage thats 1/2 done and has been that way for a few years...

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Instead of using traditional fiberglass I decided to use fleece, it is just as good as fiberglass cloth, a little easier to work with and requires less layers. This is the true meaning of composite (fleece/fiberglass resin hybrid), and also what a lot of high end sub boxes are made from. I also cut down the seat quite a bit, I thought that it looked too humpish

This is after the first layer of fleece soaked in resin.

I use my lamps as heat lamps to help with curing times.

Here is the solo seat after the first coat of bondo.

and finally the 2 projects together

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: solo seat project (updated 9 june)

just so you guys don't think that I've been sitting idle in my house (although I am pretty lazy and don't get much done when I work on my stuff), here is the solo seat after some more sanding... I did the last coat of bondo today, and checked clearances to make sure that it fits the seat perfect. I expect to paint it in the next 2 weeks, then put the seat cover on and it's done.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts

Looks better and better.

I like the license plate moutn too :)

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I did the final sanding today, worked my way up from 100 to 1000 grit sand paper, It's not perfect, but I figure that I'm not going to get it any better without spending a whole lot more time, my moto is close enough is good enough.

After I was done sanding, I washed it real good with some warm soapy water, taped off the plastic bottom, and went to town with the spray can. So far I have 4 coats on it (I think 2 in the pictures). Another 2 coats and it should be good.

I tried 4 different paint cans of red, and I find that rustoleum red gloss enamel is the closest to my 99's ex500 red.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Re: solo seat project (updated 10 june, painted)

it ohtta look good on there when your done

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: solo seat project (updated 11 june, finished and on the bike)

The paint didn't come out perfect it is a little oranger than the rest of the paint, I will eventually repaint it with a better color, but for now it is close enough. Here are some pics i took at the cemetary across the street from my house. It was a little darker than I would have liked, but I'll post them anyway here is the good stuff

the last part of the project is to cut a hole in the plastic on the bottom of the hump, add a hinge, and lock, and I have extra storage.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Congrats! Have you seen how much stuff you can fit in the new space yet?

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Nice job. That turned out great.

Did you make it to be permanently part of the seat, so that it comes off as one unit when the seat is released?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yes it is permanently attached to the plastic bottom, and it comes off as a single piece when i pull the seat off.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Looks sharp, i almost got the solo seat off airtech, then i remembered, solo seat = no girls on the back :)

Nice job, really, wish i had the skills to do that.

·
Registered
59 Posts
CerialPhreak said:
then i remembered, solo seat = no girls on the back
Man, I feel old after this comment... all I could think was "solo seat = no nagging wife" ;D

And you did a great job with that mod! Looks awesome!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hey did you spray any clear coat on there or just the rusto? If its just the paint you might wanna run to the hardware store for some clear coat cause that paint might not hold up well to the elements. I honestly dont know how well the rusto protective enamel holds up in the rain and through different temps, been more of a krylon man myself (but then again im using it on walls not bikes). If nothing else its a lil extra protection and will give you a nice finish too.

Oh, also, how many coats did you use and how well did the rusto adhere to the seat? I ask because me and my buddy are going to paint his FZR's plastics flat black and we were just going to pick up a sh!t load of matte black paint and sand paper and have at it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts