Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Derf has a project going for the solo seat and I wanted to do it. I love the look of the little wind piece on the back instead of the long seat. Its a crotch rocket not a cruiser. I dont plan on giving people rides. I also spotted a racing ferring on a link from one of the first pages on the forums. How hard do you think it would be to make this piece with the stock ferrings and abit of fiberglass? The part is 2EX5004
Kawasaki EX500 Super sport race tail. The beauty of it is that it fits over the seat. Please do take a look and leave me feedback. http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/kawiz/EX5001994-06.htm

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
ive toyed with that idea too... i dunno how easy it would be to make it molded to the side pieces. i was thinking it may be easier to just make a cowl for the seat, and devise some way to attach it.

·
Registered
633 Posts
The big differenece between that and my project is price. Depending on what I use for paint the cost is as little as around $25 for my project, plus a whole lot of work, that the starting price is over $200, and you still need to paint it.

With that one I don't think that you would be able to remove the seat either, right there you loose access to the tool kit and any space that you have under the seat to store stuff.

My solo seat is easy. I shaped a piece of foam over the stock foam, then shaved that down to the shape I want, stretched a piece of fleece over the foam, applied a very generous amount of fiberglass resin to fully wet the fleece all the way through, added bondo, sand to a high finish and paint. It just takes work.

If you wanted to make a full 1 piece rear that would take a whole lot more work and money. The best way to do that (best results) is to take your stock plastics (this would probably destroy any bodywork that you use as a mold) and make a plug, from the plug make a mold and from the mold make the finished part. I am doing a full lower panel like this now too, I can tell you that it is alot more work to go the plug/mold/part route, but then you can also make multiple copies, the part is lighter and usually the end result is better.

If you are looking for a good fiberglass forum go to - www.fiberglast.com - it is a forum for professional fiberglass workers mostly, and us backyard engineers. The people there are very knowledgable, but the people there either respond slowly or not at all and if they do it's usually a very rude comment. Use the search function there, any answer that you are looking for can be found like that,

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The way I was looking at doing it is half following your start. Making a foam piece to the shape I wanted resting on the seat. Cover it with plastic wrap or something then lay layers of fiberglassover it to start almost wrapping the fairings. Not sure how well it would work but a couple quick release bolts up front and the rest would be made to slide straight back out of the gromets that hold the sides on. In all honesty the bike is already halfway through a paint job and I dont think it would take more then a day to do this without even bringing molds or plugs into this. Its pretty much lay it over and start fiberglassing once you would shape the foam? looking at it like that what do you think?

·
Registered
326 Posts
pics? also depending on how much materials cost, and what not, someone could make decent profit making something for ex500's like this. a cowl that clips into the side of the fairings between the seat or something. i really want a solo

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As far as materials go I would say about 1 foot wide by say 2 yards long in cheesecloth and a gallon of fiberglass resin? Then abit of bondo to finish it and some high grade sandpaper to smooth it out. My bike is halfway through a paintjob right now so the paints going on anyways. I will be looking into this as a possibility more when I get my bike back. Talked to my dad and hopefully we will be getting it out today. =) Yay me! Cross your fingers for me guys.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Agia said:
Derf has a project going for the solo seat and I wanted to do it. I love the look of the little wind piece on the back instead of the long seat. Its a crotch rocket not a cruiser. I dont plan on giving people rides. I also spotted a racing ferring on a link from one of the first pages on the forums. How hard do you think it would be to make this piece with the stock ferrings and abit of fiberglass? The part is 2EX5004
Kawasaki EX500 Super sport race tail. The beauty of it is that it fits over the seat. Please do take a look and leave me feedback. http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/kawiz/EX5001994-06.htm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts