Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Tanker Clown
8,856 Posts
My uncle was really big into the 914/6. He built a whole different body for the /6 out of fiber glass using RTM. He called it the “Diablo”…his logo was the “sneaky pete” from the Phantom II with devils horns & tail. Looked like this with the fore mentioned tail & horns:
Black Sleeve Art Headgear Font

Also, no Roman numerals on the chest with his Diablo logo.

When I was a kid in high school, the car was a foam block in his back yard. He carved the body shape out of it and made molds from the plug formed the foam. Once completed the only original pieces left of the body were targa roof, & front & rear glass. Everything else was new or modified beyond recognition.

This is his car:
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

If you were to open the doors, only the inner skin & hinges are original. The outer skin is +or- 4” wider at the front of the door and 7-8” wider at the rear to give some idea of how much wider this car is from the original 914.

·
Tanker Clown
8,856 Posts
Actually his inspiration was a kit car that he found dreadfully done. I “think” it was called the GT or something like that back in the ‘70s when my uncle got his /6 new.

He told me the fiberglass body in the kit was really poorly done and he decided he could do a better job. That’s why he went with the reverse transfer mould process to make his own fiberglass body.

His other inspiration were a Ferrari Daytona and the Dino (I think). He enclosed the head lights because he liked that about the Daytona. The way the chines behind the cockpit were inspired by the Dino (again, I think)
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive parking light

He made around 5 of them as far as I know. He sold 3 complete cars and one as a kit that he wound up buying back and completing himself. He sold that one as well later on. The one pictured in my last post is the one he built for himself.

It was even featured in Christophorus, the magazine published by the Porsche factory. I forget what year that was, sometime in the late 80s or early 90s.

Reactions: budhole

·
Tanker Clown
8,856 Posts
I know what GT means.

Everything I’ve written is what my uncle told me years ago. Except for the parts I was there to see for myself. All he told me was, he looked at a kit car called a GT. Even showed me a magazine clipping of an ad for one.

Looked like the car below:
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

The ad he showed me was black & white so the pictured kit may have been red, but looked like the car above. The pictured kit is from Eagle GT currently operating in San Jose, CA. Pretty sure they’re not the same company.

I was told this probably back in the early 1990s. I’ve seen the car in person multiple times through its development up to the finished car.

I’ve seen the pictures of what inspired my uncle to build the car and what influenced his design elements. I’ve even read through the issue of Christophorus that featured his car.

All I can do is tell you about it.

·
Tanker Clown
8,856 Posts
No worries. If my post was perceived as aggressive or having been offended, I was not and apologize if the former was the perception.

·
Tanker Clown
8,856 Posts
Both of those are a distinct possibility. Of the 2 the Kelmark looks more in the ball park. The picture my uncle showed me looked more like a poorly done Ferrari Dino than anything else though. It was a grainy black & white picture from an ancient magazine that’s probably out of print since the 90s.

One thing I remember is slots in the “Frunk” on both sides….and the underside being a naked chopped strand fiber glass you’d expect from some 1970s nonsense.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts