Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
35-40 years ago, could not give them away. But some are prescient and others just plain lucky.
Yes, The Porsche Owners Club snobs didn't recognize it as a real Porsche. Designed by Porsche, Body by Karmann and assembled at Wolfsburg (VW). Sold in Germany as a VW. Supposed to be the replacement for the Karmann - Ghia. 1970 914-6s beat the 911s at 24 Hr. Lemans winning it's class (pic). 1972 I worked for VWoA Porsche/Audi. I always wanted one. Found this project car on Ebay for $4K in 2005. Little did I know how BIG a project. Still things to to. Has Dellorto carbs. Screams right up to the rev limiter. Way too much fun to drive. Today outragious prices for old raggedy 914s.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My uncle was really big into the 914/6. He built a whole different body for the /6 out of fiber glass using RTM. He called it the “Diablo”…his logo was the “sneaky pete” from the Phantom II with devils horns & tail. Looked like this with the fore mentioned tail & horns:
View attachment 57219

Also, no Roman numerals on the chest with his Diablo logo.

When I was a kid in high school, the car was a foam block in his back yard. He carved the body shape out of it and made molds from the plug formed the foam. Once completed the only original pieces left of the body were targa roof, & front & rear glass. Everything else was new or modified beyond recognition.

This is his car:
View attachment 57220

If you were to open the doors, only the inner skin & hinges are original. The outer skin is +or- 4” wider at the front of the door and 7-8” wider at the rear to give some idea of how much wider this car is from the original 914.
Looks a lot like the 904. about the same vintage. Perhaps his inspiration.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually his inspiration was a kit car that he found dreadfully done. I “think” it was called the GT or something like that back in the ‘70s when my uncle got his /6 new. He told me the fiberglass body in the kit was really poorly done and he decided he could do a better job. That’s why he went with the reverse transfer mould process to make his own fiberglass body. His other inspiration were a Ferrari Daytona and the Dino (I think). He enclosed the head lights because he liked that about the Daytona. The way the chines behind the cockpit were inspired by the Dino (again, I think) View attachment 57223 He made around 5 of them as far as I know. He sold 3 complete cars and one as a kit that he wound up buying back and completing himself. He sold that one as well later on. The one pictured in my last post is the one he built for himself. It was even featured in Christophorus, the magazine published by the Porsche factory. I forget what year that was, sometime in the late 80s or early 90s.
Looks extraordinary. Super job of it. Shame the factory didn't get the hint and build a proper 914 based GT. GT is a style, Grand Touring. 904 is also a GT. Cheers :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know what GT means.

Everything I’ve written is what my uncle told me years ago. Except for the parts I was there to see for myself. All he told me was, he looked at a kit car called a GT. Even showed me a magazine clipping of an ad for one.

Looked like the car below:
View attachment 57224

The ad he showed me was black & white so the pictured kit may have been red, but looked like the car above. The pictured kit is from Eagle GT currently operating in San Jose, CA. Pretty sure they’re not the same company.

I was told this probably back in the early 1990s. I’ve seen the car in person multiple times through its development up to the finished car.

I’ve seen the pictures of what inspired my uncle to build the car and what influenced his design elements. I’ve even read through the issue of Christophorus that featured his car.

All I can do is tell you about it.
Ok , I am not disagreeing . Please don't take it the wrong way. BTW I used to live in Thousand Oaks.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
"GT" might have been made by FiberFab, otherwise known by insiders as "Fiberglass Fornicators" If so, they did a GT40 rip-off called the Avenger.
That sounds familiar. Seems to me maybe they made a Cobra kit. AutoAtlanta used to sell a kit that sort of looked like a 904. I'm sure they were not in the fiber glass business. (Parts for your Porsche). They are the go to for anything 914. A friend of mine bought a GT40 kit somebody started. He didn't finish it either. He never finished anything. Given the choice between the proper tool and a hammer he would go for the hammer every time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts