Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent today working on the little GSXR. It really needed it too. I did the oil change after getting a second new filter last night. Somehow I wound up with the wrong filter when I ordered from Amazon.

After the oil change was complete, I drained the coolant and set about removing the factory hoses from their 16 year old seats. That was a PITA. The left side radiator hose came right off with little issue. The other two major hoses did not. In fact, they fought me all afternoon.

After wrestling with them for 2 hours I finally managed to remove the last one and fit the new silicone hoses. I got the kit from eBay a year or so ago, knowing I needed to swap the hoses. It's had a minor coolant leak for several years....like a dozen maybe.

There is a hose from the head to the water pump that is hidden behind the counter shaft cover. It's only about 6" long but it is trapped by the water pump and the spigot on the side of the head. It has been leaking from the hose ends due to the hose taking a set.

Once that happened, the hose clamps were not tight enough to prevent it leaking. It isn't like it leaked a bunch. Just enough to smell on start up. Seriously, I've only ever added coolant once or twice in 16 years so it wasn't more than a bit of seepage.

Anyway, I ordered some GP sports silicone hoses from eBay. I used their hoses on my 996 a couple years ago so their quality is a known to me. I think I spent around $65 or so for the set, though it was for a later 750. (the GSXR 600 and 750 are essentially identical externally)

I did have to trim a little off the ends of the last couple hoses, though the left side hose was a direct fit. The clamps that come with the kit are stainless steel and replicate the factory clamps almost exactly. I considered going with the Samco hose clamps like I did on my 996 but did not find a set for sale on eBay.

Next up is tires which I'm ordering tomorrow. That should be it for a while on the little GSXR. I got a filter for the Aprilia from Amazon as they're impossible to find locally. Then I wound up having to order a gallon of Maxima full synthetic 20W50 from Amazon too because no one had any locally.

My local Cycle Gear had some 15W50 300V Motul in a gallon jug but wanted $71 for it. Sorry, not happening. My local auto places all carry full synthetic Lucas Oil 20W50 but at $12.99 a quart.

I'd go ahead and just buy that but not one of the dozen local shops had more than a quart or 2 on hand. I'd have had to go from store to store in order to get 4 quarts. Didn't feel like spending my evening doing that.

This wasn't an emergency so I decided to just order the oil on Amazon. $33 delivered to my front door in 2 days. Can't beat that really. More later, once I get all the body panels mounted back up to the little GSXR.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ordered a spanking new set of Michelin Power 5s yesterday. Supposed to be here later this coming week so that will complete the required maintenance for the little GSXR. I'm planning on replacing all the brake fluid this weekend and that was the last thing on my list.

I'll be out in the garage later this evening getting the rest of the minor stuff put back on and if I remember, I'll shoot a few pics to liven this thread up a bit. More later.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A few pics as promised. First up, the one easy hose I wrote about in my first post:

That hose was a straight forward swap. As is easily seen, both ends are accessible. The following two are not.

This hose was a right pain. The upper end is accessible but the other end?

This is the view of the other end. It disappears in the bowels of the area under the throttle bodies but above the transmission.

Then there is the short hose I wrote about. This one was the biggest PITA to remove.

The residue from the leak is visible at the top. The bottom? Buried in there behind the countershaft cover. It is visible when the cover is removed but getting it out is another story. One I already told in the first post.

All for now. Didn’t get anything done at all this weekend. Body work is still off of the little GSXR. Oil change on the Aprilia still not done either. Why? Might you ask. Racing.

Racing is why. All 3 series races this weekend. MotoGP raced at Brno, WSBK raced at Portamao and MotoAmerica raced at Pittsburgh.

All together that was 7 races yesterday and another 13 today. Too many for me to watch as I still have not watched 6 of them.

No matter, I had some long overdue vacation time I have to use before the end of the year. So I’m taking all next week off in an effort to bring down what I have built up over 240 hours.

That’s all I’m able to carry over to the new year. I’m just under 180 hours. I’m supposed to get an extension due to the whole Covid thing and not being able to take time off. However that was supposed to be limited to a certain amount of hours. I’m still way above that even with taking a week off.

With tomorrow off, I’m gonna pedal in the early AM before it gets hot and get some work done on the little GSXR to get it all buttoned back up before lunch. After lunch, I’ll get the oil change done on the Aprilia. Gotta get it done as we’re off to the North Coast for a couple of days in the giant Sequoia groves. More later

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The little GSXR is all back together now. Finished up with that yesterday along with a rear brake fluid change.

FEDEX Shows the tires in transit with a projected arrival on the 14th. That should be the last of the maintenance for this year on the GSXR.

Also finished up the oil change on the Aprilia yesterday. That turned out to take a bit longer than originally anticipated. I'd not been into the guts of it for some time. Had to recalibrate my brain to Aprilia as they do things differently to Ducati.

The dry sump reservoir drain plug needed a bit of attention and the entire lower needed some general clean up and a wash. It is all done now though. Shouldn't need anything for a while.....though I'm contemplating finally replacing the clutch slave with an Oberon unit.

I recently rebuilt it with the same OEM seal and it works better than it has in some time. However, over on the Aprilia forum there is opinion in discussion that the Oberon requires less lever effort so is worth the swap.

That's another thread though, I think this one will be complete once I mount up the new tires. I'll update once that happens. More later

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got back into town last night. Found that the tires for the little GSXR showed up while we were on vacation. Went out for a pedal this morning. Next gonna get bikes outta the garage so I can put the GSXR up on stands and get the wheels pulled. More later.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All done. Went out to the garage today and into 109 degree heat. It only got hotter.

I got the tires swapped out and balanced, reinstalled the front. The rear put up a good fight though. Had to strap the wheel down to the No-Mar in order to lock it in. Then it didn’t want to go back on the bike.

I finally threw in the towel and went inside to cool off and hydrate. To start with, I drank 2, 30 oz bottles this morning before lunch. I drank another 3, 20 oz bottles while I took my break.

After I went back out, the wheel went right on in about 5 minutes. Then I “bounced” the front end and tightened up all the fasteners in sequence.

After a quick test ride to make sure everything was kosher, I consumed another 60 oz of water with dinner.

That’s 180 oz for the day. There’s 128 oz in a gallon. I’m still thirsty too.

Little GSXR done for now. Up next, more 996 love. Gotta order tires soon, and finish up with all the computer work. Need an oil pressure switch now too. All that will be detailed in the 996 thread

1 - 6 of 6 Posts